[3830] CQWW CW N5TW SOAB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5TW SOAB QRP
From: n5tw@igg-tx.net (n5tw@igg-tx.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:05:09 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5TW
Operator(s): N5TW
Station: N5TW

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: TX Zone 4

  160:      4      3      2
   80:      9      8      8
   40:     48     14     28
   20:    130     24     55
   15:    244     25     66
   10:    260     24     69
-------------------------------
Total:    695     98    228  =  629,832

Club/Team: Central Texas DX and Contesting Club (CTDXCC)

Comments:

This was my third time at CQWWCW as QRP and the second time since considerable
station improvements in late 1999.   Only improvement for this year was a 160M
4-Square but not a big factor in a QRP entry.   My goal was to beat last year's
effort hour by hour and of course the score.   Sure started out great and was
running 5 hours ahead of last year by 0600.  10M and 15M had been great with
15M even open to Eu as well as Asia.   40M was tough for QRP and was very weak
and noisy here.   I'd had a 5 hour drive before the contest start and decided
to take a decent 4 hour sleep break and hit it hard again an hour before dawn.
This was at 0735 and I was not doing much good with conditions.  If the start
was great, the next morning was really aweful for QRP.   The wonderful morning
Eu run just did not happen and each QSO was a struggle.  By 1700, I had gone
from 5 hours ahead of last year to 5 hours behind.  15M started to open a bit
to southern Eu but still rough.   The late afternoon rates to JA exceeded last
year but just barely.   At 0353Z, managed to bag HC8N on 160M just as they
showed up finishing up a sweep for them - thanks to timing, the new antenna,
good ears and callsign recognition for that one!   At 0530Z, things were slow
and I was still 5 hours behind last year.  Decided to take a long sleep - my
only hope was working fast and furious the next day if conditions improved.
Back at it at 1147Z and bagged RA0FA on 40M for a new mult and zone pushing me
over my 1998 score with the old antennas - well that is something anyway.  The
morning was made to order for QRP and we managed well higher than last year all
morning - no flare like last year.  Highlights were bagging CN2JS, HZ1AB, FR5FD
(alone) and 5R8HD.   Slowly I caught up and at 2153Z beat last year's score.
The bands were not QRP super at the last but tolerable.   Thanks for all the
QSOs and patience!