[3830] CQP N7CW/6 SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQP N7CW/6 SO HP
From: n7cw@arrl.net (n7cw@arrl.net)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:16:54 -0400 (EDT)
                     California QSO Party

Call: N7CW/6
Operator(s): N7CW
Station:

Class: SO  Power: HP
QTH: Imperial

  160:
   80:      22       33
   40:     100      139
   20:     163      358
   15:     153      313
   10:     186      665
-----------------------------------
Total:     624     1598       58  =  283,504

My usual multi-single partner, Harv, KD6QK, decided to take a break this year,
so I decided to try a single op, county expedition.  I rounded up some suckers
(I mean... helpers) willing to make a vehicle-breaking 4WD trip up 4000 feet
from the Imperial County desert and help me set up antennas, fill my generator
and feed me. It was great, but they will never do that again!

We used a classic Field Day set up, except for the 5 KW generator and Alpha.  I
forgot a piece of the tribander boom, so I ended up with a 2 el yagi.  We put
an American flag on top of the 80/40 M vertical - I'm sure thats what kept the
Border Patrol from investigating us (the mountain top is about 100 yards from
the Mexican border).

Conditions were great.  VY1JA called in pretty early (as always - thank you J),
but I also worked VY1MB and VY1AC.  However, I was still missing HI at 2050Z on
Sunday, so I turned the beam west and found KH6BBC way up the band on 10M.
After chatting for few minutes and the appropriate amount of begging on my
part, he agreed to give me a number.  As usual, KH7JJ called me 10 minutes
later.

I want to apologize to the stations I couldn't pick out of the static crashes.
We watched lightning move by until late Saturday night and had to tear down and
leave early Sunday afternoon due to a thunderstorm moving directly over the
mountain.  Thanks to the NCCC and everyone who called in for making this a
great contest!

73,  Bud  N7CW