[3830] CQP W7UQ School LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQP W7UQ School LP
From: kl9a@qsl.net (kl9a@qsl.net)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 00:57:14 -0400 (EDT)
                     California QSO Party

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: W7UQ

Class: School  Power: LP
QTH: ID

  160:       8        4
   80:      31       30
   40:      59       78
   20:      87      241
   15:      74       75
   10:      33       28
-----------------------------------
Total:     292      456       58  =  103,704

Club: World Wide Young Contesters

Comments:

I meant to go all 24 hours, but 3 hours of sleep was just not enough for me.  I
woke up on sunday and downed one of those red bull energy drinks.  BAD IDEA.  I
don't recommend it... it's like drinking fizzy Ny-Quil.  It did wake me up
though. :)
Definitely met all of my goals.  New ID Record too.  10m was open GREAT into
Europe!  Conditions were awfully good if you ask me.  All of my q's were
scatter.  It was interesting watching the scatter change.  In the early morning
it was almost due east, then later in the day it shifted farther south.  10 was
open all day to somewhere in CA... the only problem is that sigs were very
weak.  Even worked some guys skew to pacific late in the game.  Lots of guys
couldn't hear me, so it was really frustrating.  Can't compete with the W8/9
boyz on 10 and 15.  15 was often better skewed, but direct for the southern
counties.  I was getting worried I wouldn't work all the counties.  WHERE was
everyone from Del Norte and Mariposa????  Caught K6AQL/M in YOLO (I think that
was it... one of those Y ones) for the only one from there.  Never heard Del
Norte... and then AA6UN called me on 20m for his number 18!  Thanks!  I still
had Mariposa left.  Then I heard K6KAP working someone and quickly asked him to
move up 5... thanks for moving!  Worked him later on CW.
Sunday was extremely boring... makes SS look like a high rate fest. :)
Worked N6MJ 12 times (6 bands, both modes), also N6O.  Worked K6IDX on all but
160 ssb.  K6NA was consistently the loudest on all bands, good enough for 10
q's.  Lots of 8+ qsoers.
Can't win CQP from Idaho, but it's fun to try to beat your own score.  The old
ID record was 77k... will be real tough next year!  Now if I only had a 40m
yagi, a better 80m antenna, and an amp!  :)
Heard a huge number from K5GA... awesome job.

Next stop: CQWW SSB

-Chris KL9A
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a
kl9a@qsl.net