[3830] ARRL10 N7KU(NJ6D) SO CW HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 N7KU(NJ6D) SO CW HP
From: cclaver@noao.edu (cclaver@noao.edu)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:49:23 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N7KU
Operator(s): NJ6D
Station: NJ6D

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: AZ

   CW:   1818    143
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:   1818    143  =  1,039,896

Wow!  This was a fun contest!

First, my hat is off to Gary Bruins at Tucson Electric Power.  Gary is the one
who looks after RFI.  As of Wednesday afternoon I was still experiencing
s9+20-30 noise towards JA and lower levels elsewhere.  Thursday morning Gary
calls and asks me to have a listen.  It was dead quiet!!  TEP fixed a cracked
lightning arrestor on a 30KV line about a mile or so away and presto - no
noise. Sure wish we could have done this for CQWW CW, but no complaints.

As with others the first hour was fantastic.  Overall I think things were a bit
down from last year from Tucson.  Waking up early on Saturday morning I found
some very strange sounding signals.  Finally I pulled out W6EEN's call who was
wisper quiet with very brief momnets (half a character) of going to s9+ -
meteor scatter?  Europe was pretty good Saturday morning.  I was surpised to be
called by a handfull of OH's and SM's at around 20z, nearly midnight there.
There were lots of US stations to keep busy with during mid-day.  Saturday
finished off with a good opening to Japan and some very loud signals from the
Northwest US.
I could still here some of the guys working a few stations late, but decided my
brain needed a break.  Maybe this was mistake number one.

Sunday started with mistake number two.  I got up at 13z, made some coffee and
found the band full of signals from EU.  I turned the antennas to there usual
Eastward dirrection and the band was quiet again.  By the time I realized what
was happening the opening was gone.  I think it was long path, but not 100%
The short path EU opening Sunday was very short.  At one point the rate droped
to about 45 while going head-to-head with a station 250hz down.  I decided it
was time to move.  A good thing, the rate went back up to 90 when I found a
place to run.  More strange signals were heard during the mid-day hours while
working the US.  All I could hear were brief, fractions of characters - drove
me nuts at times.  I pointed one antenna due north and these snippets got loud.
 Anyone else hear this, or was I loosing my mind?  Towards the end the rate
came in clumps but stayed fairly good.

THANKS!!! to all who stopped by for a call and appologies to those I couldn't
hear to work.

It was really nice to be able to hear again.

Chuck

Equipment:

Ft1000MP + Henry 4K Ultra
Ant #1: 6elm home brew at 45ft.
Ant #2: 4elm home brew at 30ft.
WX0B stack master to run these in tandem
Writelog V10.22