[3830] W4PA/m Internet Sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W4PA/m Internet Sprint
From: w4pa@bellsouth.net (Scott Robbins)
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 13:30:23 -0500
Score = 30 QSO's

Comments:  I had the day off work but was scheduled to play a New Years'
Eve gig at the Grand Hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN.  "Hurry up and wait"
being the general rule for gigs like this, I knew I was going to be
there all day waiting around and would have a lot of spare time to kill
before everything started at 9 PM.  So I brought a marine battery and my
Omni-VI along for the ride and set them up on the table in the back of
my very stylish 1982 GMC conversion van.  Ah, the odor of burnt motor
oil and dirty carpeting.  Is it Field Day?  :-)  I wasn't sure how much
battery power I had, turned the power down on the Omni-VI to about 30
watts.  Antenna was a 20 meter Mobile Mark whip U-bolted to the ladder
on the rear door of the van.  Since I was technically "mobile" I signed
W4PA/m.  I was surprised at some of the weak signals that heard me.  I
didn't hear anyone louder than S7 and most were about S3 or S4.  K1HT
was the loudest signal heard, must have been 1 hop from MA to TN....

I started off with the name "TUX" and by 18 minutes later had someone
send "TEX" to me, so either there was a "TEX" or it had already been
blown that fast...

Any potential Y2K computer problem was avoided very neatly; I paper
logged in the van and then typed the log into Microsoft Word this
morning...

73
Scott W4PA