[3830] Stew Perry N1RJ Single Op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry N1RJ Single Op
From: n1rj@pivot.net (n1rj@pivot.net)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:32:57 -0500 (EST)
                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N1RJ
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: Single Op
Power: HP
Operating Time (hrs):

Grid Square: FN43

QSOs: 135  Score: 604

Comments:

My second worst 160 contest ever! I built new antenna coupler for vertical,
fired up new copy of NA, got everything else ready and then found that the
"Noise Generator from Hell" had invaded the neighborhood! A loud broadband
hash with a one second on and one second off period. Fortunately, my one
Beverage, pointed east, was not hearing it so was able to work many EU's.
Listening west was horrible. I found myself stumbling around in the cold
Maine woods at 3:30 AM to cut the Beverage terminating resistor to make it
bi-directional! Almost got lost (all those damn trees look alike at night
in the flashlight beam!). Results were still marginal. Missed the VK but
did work KH7M who had a smashing signal.All told, I heard 31 DX stations
and managed to work 19 of them. Need some more zap an transmit also. Top
loaded 52 ft vertical not very competitive.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/