[3830] VA3SK WPXSSB M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VA3SK WPXSSB M/S
From: kgsmith@onlink.net (Ken Smith)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 00:25:16 -0500
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: VA3SK                    Country:  Canada
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        4       13   3.2        3     Vertical
       80      134      515   3.8       43     Egg Beater
       40      272     1181   4.3       87     2 el loaded yagi @70 ft
       20      433     1095   2.5      171     TH7
       15     1232     3420   2.8      477     TH7
       10      216      589   2.7       86     TH7
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   2291     6813   3.0      867  =   5,906,871

Operators: VA3SK,VA3MW, with help from VA3PC

Equipement: IC756, LK500, CT

Comments:

We arrived at the contest station Friday afternoon and got to work firing
up the wood stove and setting up the radios and computers. Our first test
of the equipement showed that we had a S9 line noise on 20/15/10 to the
east. Time to get out the big hammer and go looking for a pole with a
problem. We managed to find the noisy pole about 400 mtrs away, but weren't
sure if we could do anything about it. You don't call in a problem to the
Electrical Company on a Friday afternoon, at 4:00 pm. We got really lucky
and a few beatings on the pole with the big hammer stopped the noise. It
stayed quiet for the weekend.
With just 2 operators it is a good test of stamina, and we did pretty good
in that respect. Our score was the best that we have ever done in this
contest, and am pleased with the results. There was a nice far east opening
for us on Saturday evening. 20 mtrs was a brutal band, and we never do well
there, so stayed away from it as best we could. 15 was the main band for
the weekend.

If anyone is interested in trading stats, let me know.

Ken
VA3SK