[3830] N6BZA Phone SS SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N6BZA Phone SS SOHP
From: djl@andlev.com (Dan Levin)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:04:12 -0800
First contest with the new tower up - made a big difference.  Now if I can
just get my wife and 10 month old daughter to give me enough time to be
competitive :-)

N6BZA, Single Op Unassisted, High Power

40/80 - dipole @ 50'
10/15/20 - TET HB-43SP @ 65'
IC740 + H/B Amp = 1,500 watts

# B N6BZA 79 SCV

Time Operated: 7:42

524 x 79 = 82,792

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Soapbox:

- Delight is that it took me less than 90 minutes to make more QSO's and
more points than I made in over 5 hours on CW.  Like a fish back in water
:-)

- Happiness is having KL7Y, VY1A and VO1MP all call in within 90 minutes on
Saturday afternoon.

- Surprise is only hearing 1, count it 1, station from San Francisco section
(K6RIM).

- Gratitude is KA2YKM calling in on 15M for the sweep (SNJ, believe it or
not).

- Shock is finally getting the new tower up on Thursday night, and finding
the SWR on 20M off the meter.  Made a total of 49 Q's on 20, all using the
tuner - I am guessing it is a broken trap to tip connection.

- Glee is 10M opening up, with good rates and no noise (but very weird
propogation.  For a while on Sunday morning, I was working a solid diet of
8's, 9's and 0's - with 3 Mainers thrown in.  And Loud.  Nothing else East
Coast, just 3 ME's.  Then VE1MC - who I am guessing is just north of Maine.
Crazy.  15 minutes later, MA and CT finally joined the party.).

- Summary is: decent rates + excellent participation = great fun.  My first
phone SS after 15 years off, but it won't be my last.