[3830] K8MR VHF SS Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K8MR VHF SS Score
From: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org (Jim Stahl)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 98 11:30:58 EST

     1998 January VHF SS   K8MR   Single Op   EN91/OHIO

     50          66     26
    144          85     22
    222          17     11
    432          19      4

    TOT         187     63    14,049

What a crummy contest!  We had an minor ice storm Thursday
evening, nothing near the W1/VE2 disaster, but enough to make
parking lots slippery and freeze up antennas.  My beams were
frozen west until about noon on Saturday, but even when free
there was still enough ice to screw up the performance.  432 was
the worst, I had trouble working guys at the other end of my own
grid.  For most of the contest the 2 meter SWR was high enough to
trip off the amplifier VSWR protection circuit.  Fortunately the
TR-6 tolerated the SWR, but it did not tolerate being 10 miles
from W8ZH.

Conditions seemed poor as well, except for a ten minute opening
Saturday evening to EM00,10, and EL09.  Tropo was a bit better
Sunday evening, but still not exciting.

Waiting for June,

Jim   K8MR

Jim Stahl
InterNet: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org
Basic Amateur Radio Frequency, BARF-80 +1 (440) 237-8208
"Totally devoted to Amateur Radio" - 24 Hrs a day 8/N/1 28.8k-1200 baud