[3830] V01MP SS/SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] V01MP SS/SSB
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:14:54 -0800

--------------53BE6BF75464

Returned home on Sunday on schedule rushed to get on for a few hours after
1600Z, Plan to
cleanse hard drive and generally tidy up computer, on Friday night now in
retrospect was
not good idea !! Switch on , le Voila
no hard drives, Gee I really love windows 95 hi! No time to call my computer
guru for
some tuteledge so resort to old clunker 286 , blow dust off , of course  need
recue disk
to restart ( remember those  ? ) date time and ct loaded , hard drive moans ,
first
contact  logged at 1610z
hit enter long whirr from machine --- machine finally enters Q about 3 seconds
later, oh
well mebbe it will get better when it warms  up .
Scoot around S& P on 15 for first 10 mins or so to check if computer is going
to work,
wonder how we every managed to contest without them. Work  some west coasters,
some
needed NL so think now that computer is safe I should find a nice quiet freq,
band is
very crowded, call CQ and in a few minutes have a mini pileup some of whom were
not
really polite, oh well that's half the fun ! Not a regular SS op so found  the
exchange
is slower than I thought it would be.
First full hour from 1700- 1800 yielded 137 Qs not bad, but not that
gratifying, second
hour 1800-1900 only 125 Qs however now seem to be managing the pileup a bit
better and
finding a rythym to the exchange;  last ten qso rate peaks at 208, not bad but
long way
from 501/peak during CQWW, still fun especially when am told by some that I was
last for
the sweep , now starts to feel more gratifying.
Go to 20 meters play there for a while keep beam high for western states VY1JA
Calls me!
He was loud but had to be told he was in there.  By now I realize that lots of
NL
stations have been  around,  feel bit ambivalent about that hi! Cut down on MY
pile up,
However made for lots of happy contesters  .
Hung around for   while made some contacts on 80 meters , no sweep but at least
a few
more sections than CW.  Like the Old Brooklyn Dodgers wait 'till next year.
 Looks like a sweep is standard fare for this
contest  after reviewing the box scores this week , oh yes finally get main
computer back
on line Tuesday evening.
XYL is very perplexed  she wonders aloud  why I told her the contest is at the
END of the
month.
CU CQWWCW   All goes well -- Good Lord Willin'  etc etc.
Gus VO1MP

--------------53BE6BF75464

                       ARRL SWEEPSTAKES 1997

      Call: VO1MP                    Section: Newfoundland & Labrador
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator/HP/Uassisted

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80       22       44        -
       40        3        6        -
       20      179      358        -
       15      353      706        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    557     1114       74

               Score:  82,436

Power Output: 750 watts     Hours of operation:
Equipment Description:

Club Affiliation:

                             Signature __Gus Samuelson
                                  MAILING ADDRESS: