[3830] P40W SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] P40W SOAB HP
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 06:44:58 PST
P40W by W2GD.  WOW, what a contest.  Ten and fifteen were simply
fabulous making possible my personal best CQWW score ever.

Qsos:  7195
Zones:  143
Ctys:     500
Score:  13,533,221 points
Op Time:  44 hours

Breakdown (QSO/Z/C)

160:   140/12/28

 80:    423/19/73

 40     693/22/79

 20    1080/31/111

 15    2337/33/115

 10    2522/26/94

Seems every trip to P40  Murphy travels with me.  This trip  was an
exercise in problem solving all week before the contest:

Day 1:  Transceiver, Amplifier, Rotor, and 40M beam broken
Day 2:  Replace rotor, fix transceiver (freq. display and filter
switching problems, TS930S)
Day 3:  Fix Amplifier (Alpha 87A- I think the tropic moisture was the
problem, required multiple resets of microprocessor)
Day 4 :  Fix 40 m beam (broken wire on Force 12 Two ele.)

Cannot Sleep prior to contest.  Already awake 14 hours prior to start.

Contest Memories:

Lousy start first 10 hours.  Just couldn't find the groove on low bands.
Bad S 8 to 9 line noise on 20M entire contest made trips to 20M very
painful.  I apologize to all the JA stations I could not hear through
the noise.
Shared 15M with P43A who runs a KW just 300 feet away from my QTH.
Listening on beverages helped a lot.
Great runs Sat. afternoon, 5 hours  at 275+ on 15 and 10.  WOW! Almost
catch up with P40E who started hot but eventually withdrew early Sunday
morning due to bad health.
Kept the pace up Sunday with 180-195 hours and big 277 hour on 10M to
North America.

Beat my pre-contest goal by 15 % and score was a  35% improvement over
1996 effort.  Condx were so much better this year, but very strange at
times.  The effects of the flare Fri/Sat were very evident first day
with only about 50 DL's in the log.  Great Pac/Oc on high bands.  Second
nite 160/80 seemed quite poor but noise levels seemed below normal both
nites.  Slept one hour first nite and 3 hrs. second nite (missed sunrise
Sunday morning by 30 minutes).

Great to hear all the new local  P43 contesters (P43A, P43E ((licensed
only 3 days - Emily made over 1,700 QSOs)), P43HOT, P43T, and P43W).
Expect much more from these operators in coming years.  Very
enthusiastic group.

Hope everyone had a great contest and fun.  CU from FS5PL during CQWW
CW.  Look for P40R/K4UEE on CW as well.

73, John W2GD