N5RZ SS CW Score & Comment (Long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N5RZ SS CW Score & Comment (Long)
From: rocker@datasync.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 00:43:24 -0600 (CST)
>         1) Getting fills was a tremendous amount of work.  Guys obviously
> cannot copy the code  -  in fact I had to throw out a number of QSO's where
> I never got a fill.
>
>         2) Frequency stealing.  Part 1:  A CQ'er plops down on the frequency,
> sometimes nanoseconds after I let up the key  -  No QRL or anything!!

Oddly enough I had no problems with either of these. I don't think
I had a single fill request go unanswered. There were a few I just
couldn't copy, but they all tried. And, only two that I recall
having to coax the whole exchange out of.

Frequency stealers were only a problem on 20m, where without fail
a 4, 5, or 0 big gun in my skip zone would plop down on my frequency
as soon as I got going. I could barely hear them and they probably
couldn't hear me at all, so it was most efficient for me to just move.

On the low bands I would get a loud "QRL?" every time a QRP station
with slow fist would send his exchange to me...but they almost always
went away when I answered them. Very few just barged in and CQed.

-- Ray, WQ5L