AA0OB SS CW Score-K0OB now!

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AA0OB SS CW Score-K0OB now!
From: aa0ob@skypoint.com (Greg Fields)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 21:37:24 -0600 (CST)
CW SS 96
Call Used:      AA0OB Now K0OB! First pick!!!
Operator:       AA0OB
Prec:           A
Check:          77
Section:        MN
Hours on:       24
Equipment:      1000D 150 watts, NA version 10.06

BAND    Q's     Antennas
80      268     Dipole at 26 feet
40      175     Sloper, at 30 feet off of roof tower
20      411     Explorer 14 tribander on roof tower, 33 feet high
15      20      ""
10      0       ""
        ____
        874 x 74 mults= 129,132   Sections missed:WY,VE4,VE8,KH6

Soapbox:
As usual, SS was a mixture of pleasure and pain. Pleasure is having
some good hours and seeing my modest ant's doing well. Pleasure is
working KL7 on 80 meters on the mighty dipole up 26 feet. (Hey, it's
even a new band country for me!) Pleasure is seeing my skills improve
every year in SS. PAIN is going to 40 meters at 0100 and see my rate
go down as I fight to keep going with the low wire ant's. PAIN is
never even hearing the sections I missed. (I still can't believe I
missed 4 of them!) PAIN is realizing I'm falling behind last year's
rate and falling short of my goal of 900 Q's. PAIN is fighting to
keep going near the end when the senses are getting dull.
PAIN is having your wife come into the shack at the end and say
something really smells. Then she says it's you!

BUT, Pleasure is a couple of days after SS and you have forgotten
how much some of it hurt and you actually believe you enjoyed
the whole contest. (Memory is a merciful thing.) And finally,
PAIN is not getting the vanity callsign in time for CW SS. And
yes, PLEASURE is getting your number one pick, K0OB!!! See
you in the phone test! (Now, will I go with the ultimate pain
again of QRP phone, or go with the pleasure of 150 watts?)

73,

Greg K0OB (Previously AA0OB)

Greg Fields K0OB (Previously AA0OB)
aa0ob@skypoint.com