WI2E CQWW SSB, SO HP Score & Comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WI2E CQWW SSB, SO HP Score & Comments
From: jobrien@ucla.edu (Joseph M. O'Brien)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:25:59 -0800
                  CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1996

      Call: WI2E                     Country:  U.S./Los Angeles, CA
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator, High Pwr.

       20      159      383     2.41     13      13
       15       10       26     2.60      5       6

     Totals    169      409     2.42     18      19  =>  15,133

     Time On: 2.1 Hours

Equipment: TS-830S, TL-922A
           TH6 atop engineering building

Comments:

        This was my first DX contest from the West Coast, and the bands sure
sounded different than from W2/W3. 91 JA's and not a single European! I
operated from the club station at UCLA (W6YRA). It's a nice setup, but in
need of a few contest amenities (a computer and a boom mic. headset, for
example). I had a slow first 20 minutes or so, but after settling down on
20M to call CQ, things started moving. Once I got the hang of copying
weak-signal JA stations, things picked up. The post contest rate meter had a
sustained last 10 rate near 200 for the my final 35 minutes of operation.
Phone is fun when you can run. I also found out what the VBT control is for:
20M SSB! It was hard to tear myself away from the radio, but law school
exams are approaching quickly! I'm looking forward to putting in a major
effort from W6 in the ARRL DX CW contest. I'll pass out some QSO's from rare
LAX in the SS CW.

                                                73,
                                                Joe, WI2E

                                                jobrien@ucla.edu