WA0QOA ARRL DX SO/LP/AB SCORE

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WA0QOA ARRL DX SO/LP/AB SCORE
From: CWMAN1@aol.com (CWMAN1@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:40:55 -0500
  ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: WA0QOA                   Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator Low Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       12       36   3.0       10
       80       36      108   3.0       22           Total operating time =
33 hours
       40      320      957   3.0       58
       20      420     1257   3.0       63
       15       47      141   3.0       31
       10            What 10m?

     Totals    835     2499   3.0      184  =   459,816

All reports sent were 599, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:   Icom 765, 100 watts, TA-33 at 51', Force 12
                         2 element 40m yagi at 60', 160/80m Inv-V
                         apex at 48'
                   **************************
Club Affiliation:  *  FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB  *
                   **************************

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               FRED W. HOFFERT, III  WA0QOA
               64 STILES AVENUE
               MORRIS PLAINS, NJ 07950

Inv-V went dead on Friday night.  Thought that would be the end of that.
 Copied
many stations 10-20 over S9 but none heard me.  Saturday morn did snow work
in driveway.  Later antenna doctors made house call.  My thanks to ed,
WA2SRQ,
George, K5KG, and Hawk, SM5AQD for helping determine that one of the
resonators the Inv-V had shorted on the inside, probably due to water/ice
which allowed
path to form between the two anchor screws in the PVC.  There was a great
carbon path burned into the PVC.  Cleaned it up and did some business on
80/160m Saturday night.

The antenna problem was the low point, only matched perhaps by the lousy
condx on 15m and this if the first DX contest for me without a single Q on
10m.  Heard one lonely soul at K3ANS calling CQ but zip.  The high point of
this contest again was the performance of the 40m yagi.  This is my second
contest with it and it's great.  The funniest thing occurred during Sunday
afternoon, but I didn't know it until Monday.  Ed, WA2SRQ, and I were both
working 40m.  We're geographically close enough to each other to know when
the other is on the band.  Ed told me he answered one of the Euro mega
multis.  Listened for reply and the guy came back to "WA0QOA  599 KW".  The
guy had busted Ed's call and thought it was me.  This is no big deal but I
take a lot of heat for the long callsign and never imagined that somebody on
the other side would think somebody else's call was mine.  Vanity calls can't
get here soon enough!

73 es C U All in SSB (send sunpots)...........FRED/WA0QOA
                                                                CWMAN...I'D
RATHER WORK CW!!!