Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : band changes in SweepStakes Forums Help

1-5 of 5 messages

Page 1 of 1  

band changes in SweepStakes Reply
by KG5VK on October 9, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
is there still a rule that once you change bands you must stay on it for at least ten minutes ???

RE: band changes in SweepStakes Reply
by K9NW on October 9, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I don't recall there ever being such a rule in SS.

by ve4mm on October 10, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I thought it was 1/2 hour in the old days.

by AA4LR on October 14, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
There are not restrictions on band changes for single operator stations in SS. Never have been for as long as I can remember.

For multi-operators, seems like there used to be a 10-minute rule, or other such band-change limiter -- but no more. The 2004 rules state in section 3.2.1.2 "No limitation on the number of band changes." (See: <http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2004/novss.html>)

Because of the special SS rule that you can only work a station once, regardless of band, there's slightly less incentive for multi-operator stations to do frequent band changes.

Most of the contest rules limiting band changes for multi-operator / single-transmitter categories stemmed from the use of an "octopus" years ago. This was a set of interconnected transmitters such that no two transmitters could be on the air similtaneously. Operators would work feverishly on nearly all bands and would take turns transmitting. The octopus lockouts enforced that rule.

Since a M/S octopus can run up contacts almost as well as a multi-operator / multi-transmitter station, contest organizers thought this was unfair, and made rules to prevent it. They didn't want the M/S category to become a competition between practically M/M stations.

Sweepstakes does not have a M/M category.

by N8KR on October 16, 2008 Mail this to a friend!
25 years of SS, most multi, and there hasn't been a 10 minute (or any minute) rule. Band change whenever you want, how often you want!

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Simulataneous contests
Previous Topic:   tower talk
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.