Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Antenna Dilemma Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Antenna Dilemma Reply
by kb0etc on December 9, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Okay here is my dilemma... Was looking at the Hy-gain TH11DX, 11 elements for 10/12/15/17/20 meters. The antenna is a hybrid LPDA. Also looked at Hy-gain's 3 element 40 meter beam. Between the two antennas I would have 10-40 covered. The issue is the structural integrity and quality control issues with these antennas.

Not wanting to sacrifice gain or take a chance on a cheesy antenna, I ordered the M2 KT36XA (Killer Tribander) 10/15/20. As well as their 3 element 40 meter monobander.

No I am up for ideas and suggestions for what I should do for 12/15/17 meters. I don't run an amplifier, but want to put out a very respectable signal on those bands as well.

Maybe a rotatable dipole? Anyone know of a good model?

Also thought of putting up an M2 10-30LP8. It is a Log cell for 10-30 Mhz. Issue is: Single 72' freestanding tower at this QTH. Worry about interaction between the KT36 and a LPDA.

Any suggestions?

Possibly will shunt feed for 160 meters. Although a double extended zep and a 1/4 wave sloper will hang off the side of the tower with my Palstar tuner for the lower bands...

Please help, 73

RE: Antenna Dilemma Reply
by AC5ZO on December 9, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I faced the same questions and decided to install a Force 12 C4SXL. It covers 40 and 20-10 with gain and F/B on all bands.

RE: Antenna Dilemma Reply
by kn0v on December 22, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Why do you consider a TH11-DX a cheesy antenna? From
what I've heard, there are no quality control issues
with the Hy-Gain antennas since MFJ took over. A number
of hams in the St. Paul/Mpls area have them and are
quite happy with the antenna. My TH5-MKII was in the
air for almost 20 years. I replaced it with a Tennadyne T8 to gain the WARC bands. It has suffered more damage in two years than my TH5-MKII did in 20.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   10m contest recording
Previous Topic:   10M Beam
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.