Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : WF1B RTTY SOFTWARE Forums Help

1-7 of 7 messages

Page 1 of 1  

WF1B RTTY SOFTWARE Reply
by N8XP on August 30, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
NEED SOME INFO ON THE WF1B RTTY CONTESTING SOFTWARE.
DOES THE SOFTWARE WORK WELL WITH A "NORMAL" TNC LIKE
AN MFJ 1278 B OR A KAM? I'VE HEARD THAT THE SOFTWARE
HAS SOME PROBLEMS LIKE CRASHING BECAUSE IT HASN'T BEEN
UP GRADED IN SOME TIME. I PLAN TO USE THE WF1B
SOFTWARE FOR CONETSTING ONLY, NOT RAG CHEWING.
IS THE W1FB SOFTWARE OKAY BY IT SELF W/O USING MMTTY?
I WILL BE USING THE SOFTWARE AND TNC WITH A YAESU FT
920 ONLY. THE 920 HAS A PORT FOR DIGITAL ONLY...IS
THAT A PROBLEM???? LIKE KEYING THE RIG AND/OR AMP.
ANY OTHER TIPS SENT MY WAY WILL BE APPRECIATED.

73, ROGER, N8XP

RE: WF1B RTTY SOFTWARE Reply
by OK1VWK on September 4, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Hi, Roger

I think that will not problem with WF1B and Kantronics KAM allmode modem, because it is my privat configuration on my HF station. I use Kenwood TS870 and Kantronics KAM ver. 2.85 with last version WF1B RTTY software and since first power on I did not have problem with this configuration. My PC has CPU AMD K5/166MHz, it is old motherboard from PCCHIPs company. My OS is Windows 95 and WF1B software is going nice on Windows or DOS mode. WF1B software I use it also on our contest station OL7R 2 years ago. We were QRV during few CQ WW RTTY contest�s with WF1B software and AEA PK232MBX. Our team OL7R have with WF1B software only good experience. MMTTY is also good software but I think that it is primary for sound cards. OK it was my little info.

73 de Milan, OK1VWK
member of OL7R contest team

by N8XP on September 6, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
OKAY, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. I OPERATED RTTY SEVERAL YEARS AGO WITH AN OLD PACK RAT 64 (PK64). I STOPPED USING THAT SYSTEM CAUSE I NEVER COULD FIND ANYONE ON THE BANDS EXCPET FOR 20 METERS.
HOWEVER, I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE NEW RTTY CONETSTING SOFTWARE AND THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

73,ROGER, N8XP

by OK1VWK on September 10, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Okay, Roger

My choice and better choice for RTTY contesting, I think, is good "steel" and nice going software for work with good "steel". For example good steel = PK232 or Kantronics KAM etc. and nice going software = WF1B.

Yes you can use also sound card with MMTTY and etc. software, but it is only PC and it is possible, that you will have big troubles with Windows or DOS drivers, software bug and defect and EMC. Steel is steel, hi. Next cause exist, sound card is going RTTY in AFSK mode, steel(Kantronics, Packrat and next external hardware modems) are going RTTY in FSK mode and FSK is better, ofcourse.

If you are QRV also at SSB or CW in contest, you can use Writelog, because it is software with built-in WF1B RTTY software engine. One contesting software, but running only in Windows, for all modes(RTTY,SSB,CW) it is the best choice for allmode contesters. If do you like MS-DOS you can use WF1B software for RTTY and for example CT log from K1EA for SSB and CW contest.

73 de Milan, OK1VWK

by n0iu on October 17, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
You mean you can work RTTY with a soundcard now??

I have been using a KAM Plus with WF1B for about 7 or 8 years now with a variety of rigs and computers (now running and AMDK2/350) and operating systems (Windows NT, 95 and 98) and that combination is like the old Timex commercials, it just keeps on ticking!

The soundcard modes are great, but there are so many bad signals on the air. Give me an outboard controller and rig where I can run true FSK and I don't have to worry about overdriving my signal.

The bottom line is that this combination ain't broke so I am not going to try and fix it!

de Scott N0IU

by OK1VWK on January 26, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Hi Roger,

I mean that FSK is better because, are in use internal FSK precision oscilators on the TRX and thanks this my TX signal cant be overmodulated. It is main problem AFSK with external sound card.

73 de Milan,OK1VWK

by AF4OX on July 7, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
I am trying to find a Cabrillo format version or FIX for my version 4 RTTY by WF1B. Maybe there is a newer CONVERT.EXE file that is available? Hope you can help.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   N3FJP vs. NA
Previous Topic:   Rotator Loops
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.