Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Same HV supply for 3 different 8877 amplifiers?? Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Same HV supply for 3 different 8877 amplifiers?? Reply
by ve2xx on March 28, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I have 3 8877 vhf amps that i'm thinking of connecting on the same supply, is it better to switch them , or apply voltage to all of them ALL the time.
I have mixed thoughts about either. These amplifiers are basically used one band at a time one operator.
I'm more inclined to switch B+ and B-, to simplify the metering which already exists
Thanks for your input.

stu

RE: Same HV supply for 3 different 8877 amplifiers Reply
by AC5ZO on April 4, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I do not see any reason why you could not leave the HV on, but why would you want to leave HV connected to equipment that is not operating? You can switch any of the amps ON in seconds by keeping the tube warm and power supplies ready. Jennings HV relays or a Millen switch can select the active amplifier.

by ve2xx on April 10, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
ve2xx (stuart truba)

Date:
TODAY
Subject:
RE: Same HV supply for 3 different 8877 amplifiers
Subscribe:
No

Hi Ac5zo, well here's the upshot, you have 3 different 8877 amps for vhf , one per band, I want to
operate say 220 sprint... 6 and 2m are connected to the same supply, i use one amp , then theres the other
situation, during say a vhf contest where all bands are needed, rather than duplicate supplies it is simpler
to have the b+ on ..

Others have said leave the b+ on and some say switch the b+and b- for the ease of metering , the amps
are built and the meters CANNOT be put in // to make the proper Ip readings . I was given a couple of
ideas isolating the meters , so far it seems more are for having the B+ on all the time.

More to follow ... thanks for the input

73's stu

by AC5ZO on April 30, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
The problem and the requirements seem to be considerably more complicated than the original post. Keeping HV connected to a non-operating amplifier in stand-by is considerably different than the demands placed on a single power supply used to operate more than one amplifier at a given time.

I would be more than glad to help but as the problem becomes more narrowly focused, it is probably better that you contact me at [email protected]

73 de AC5ZO

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   contest log
Previous Topic:   Antenna Height
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.