Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Antenna Height Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Antenna Height Reply
by ve4mm on March 25, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I may be able to operate a contest here on top of a 40 storey building. About 400' - 500' above grade.

A could install a tribander but nothing for 40 or 80.

Any benefit for contesting, say 10 Meters or Sweeps?

73, Mike

RE: Antenna Height Reply
by k4uj on March 28, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
One of the things that you will have to consider will be the amount of noise from elevator shaft motors and sheer amount of electrical devices inside of this building.

Most elevators have the motors installed on or near the roof of the building and generate lots of EMI. It is one of those things that you won't know until you try. Good luck.

Paul K4UJ

by kd2rd on April 28, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Do whatever you can for 40. Maybe you can utilize some type of add-on kit for the tribander, or use any type of shortened antenna. Then for Sweepstakes
( particularly CW ), you can just focus mainly on 40 & 20 with a little 10/15 & probably do rather well.
Good Luck !
John
KD2RD

by AC5ZO on April 30, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Height is an obvious advantage, but when you say "on top of a building", I am not sure if you mean your station location would be on the roof. There will almost always be wind at that altitude and danger from storms and electrical discharge is greater.

Any triband antenna should give good low angle performance at that height but the super low angle pattern comes at the cost of breaking up the higher angle pattern into multiple lobes. So, you might make more contacts or not, but they will certainly be to different places than the guy using your same antenna at 100 ft.

If you want to operate on 40/80/160, then halfwave center fed dipoles supported by kites or thrown over the side of the building might work. Remember that when you are on the roof, you are also 400-500 ft from a good RF ground, so RFI could be bad to severe. Avoid any endfed wire where you need to work the antenna against a ground.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Same HV supply for 3 different 8877 amplifiers??
Previous Topic:   Contesting software
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.