Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : KG4PZZ -- Not Guantanimo Bay! Forums Help

1-8 of 8 messages

Page 1 of 1  

KG4PZZ -- Not Guantanimo Bay! Reply
by KG4PZZ on February 27, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Well, I was looking into participating in the ARRL International DX contest this weekend, and was reading through the rules and found this:

6.1. Your call sign must indicate your DXCC station location (KH6XYZ/W1 in Maine, KG4/W1INF at Guantanamo Bay, etc).

Well, I realize that KG4xx is Guantanimo Bay (and ONLY 2 letter suffixes are GBay -- 3 or 1 letter suffixes are not!). However, would I have to ID as W4/KG4PZZ? I don't want anybody thinking I'm Guantanimo Bay, but I don't want anybody thinking I'm not following the rules. I obtained this call sequentially in Virginia and have never been (nor do I want to go...) to G Bay. Any help is appreciated.
Fred
KG4PZZ

RE: KG4PZZ -- Not Guantanimo Bay! Reply
by K9NW on February 27, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
You've already answered your own question. Only KG4 2x2 callsigns are Gitmo. 2x1 and 2x3 callsigns are US. So you only have to sign KG4PZZ.

Have fun in the contest and good luck!!

73, Mike K9NW

by KG4PZZ on February 27, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Just kind of double-checking, I suppose. I appreciate the quick feedback, too!
Fred
KG4PZZ

by vk2cz on March 2, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
The N1MM contest logger would not accept your callsign either... I had to 'fiddle' it to make it work, not something I wanted to do mid-contest.

I've been gently pushed to use Writelog now..
David VK2CZ
Sydney

by KG4PZZ on March 2, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Ahh, post contest and new observations.

First, the N3FJP logging program I used, when I entered my own callsign out of curiousity, showed me as Guantanimo Bay (*sigh*).

Second, a handfull of stations (maybe 3 or 4) refused to work me; I recieved "DX only to work stateside!" from two gentlemen; another made a comment about "the Gitmo station" to the same effect of "work stateside, not DX".

This is one of those little quirks that logging programs don't pick up / weren't programmed to know (that 2x2 KG4 stations are gitmo, only), and the general population doesn't know. I wonder if the FCC even thought about skipping the KG4 prefix when it came around for sequential distribution.

Now I'm considering just getting that 1x2 or 2x1 vanity and get rid of the problem completely.

Maybe just K4PZZ?

Oh, the possibilities.

Although, I'm only one. While most KG4xxx stations are fairly new and probably have yet to upgrade, most of these callsigns are getting some age on them and their owners slowly are upgrading (some rapidly upgrading, too, I suppose). Maybe a little note should be distributed to the writers of software about the KG4xx vs KG4x and KG4xxx 'problem'.

Silly FCC licensing...

Fred
KG4PZZ (for how much longer?)

by N2MG on March 4, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
You seemed to have stumbled upon the "wrong call". I suggest if you are to take contesting seriously, you pick something without the "G" in it.

The FCC could have prevented this problem, but they only made it worse. The "KG4" problem is only one example.

Mike N2MG

by KG4PZZ on March 4, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
It's really a shame, too.

I ordered 500 QSL cards a few months ago ... 50 down, at least 200 to go before I think of throwing the rest out (ok, I'd keep a dozen or so for nostalgia).

But really... how many people have a "party" call sign? KeG & PiZZa ... take out the vowels, you get KG & PZZ. The 4 looks like a quickly written 'and' symbol. Really a shame I'd have to lose such a great callsign (especially with college only a few months away... and V Tech at that, a radioactive college!).

By the end of summer I'm sure I'll have racked up enough Q's to not feel horrible throwing out QSL cards. Maybe some white-out would fix that problem...

Expect to see K4PZZ in next year's International DX contest ;-). (All 1x2 and 2x1 4-area calls are taken! What a shame...)

Thanks for the input guys.
Fred KG4PZZ
"Keg and Pizza"

by kg4owe on March 6, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I completely understand your pain. However I will not change the call I have. I mean come on how often do you luck into a word in your original call sign. Plus it fits me to a tee. Like most of us I will owe someone something my entire life.

I do think the software people need to address this issue.

73's
Michael

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   amplifier
Previous Topic:   3830
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.