Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : DX contest power cut numbers Forums Help

1-6 of 6 messages

Page 1 of 1  

DX contest power cut numbers Reply
by N4SL on February 16, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
When the DX station sends 'ATT' and 'KW' for their power, am I supposed to submit '100' and '1000' in my log or EXACTLY what's sent?

RE: DX contest power cut numbers Reply
by wa3nko on February 17, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
What about the ones who just send "dah dah dah"???

by K9NW on February 18, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I log KW, K, etc., just as they are. I've always done the conversion of ATT, 2TT, T5T, TT5, etc., making them 100, 200, 050, 005, etc. (Never occurred to me to do otherwise.....)

In my 23 years of participation, with both paper and electronic logs, it has never been a problem. The software is pretty smart....it knows what these things mean.

73, Mike K9NW

by N4SL on February 18, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Hi guys,

I asked Dan Henderson at ARRL and he said putting in "KW" was OK but I should convert the cut numbers to numbers.

THEN I learn that Writelog (my contesting SW) can be configured to automatically convert cut numbers into numbers for you, as you type them in. Pretty neat!

It doesn't matter, I only worked 64 QSOs, but now I know.

Thanks and 73, Steve

by N2MG on February 21, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
The admonishment that some make that contesters must log "what is sent" sounds like it originated in a lawyer-wanna-be. You are supposed to log the information conveyed, not the actual dits and dahs. Someone who sends 5NN means 599. We understand that. What's so different about someone sending K or KW or dadadah? We know that means 1000 - so log 1000. No big deal.

Fortunately (to the chagrin of some of these same wanna-be-lawyers) the contest log checking usually does the "right thing" and converts K and KW to 1000. But it would be foolish to leave ATT in a log when the information conveyed was 100.

Mike N2MG

by n6tr on February 28, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
Sorry to come in so late on this. N2MG hit the nail on the head... log the "information" exchanged, not the exact thing sent.

I had one station send me something (I think it was the letter "O") that made no sense to me... Was that zero watts? I couldn't figure it out. Had to ask MANY times what their power was - and got nothing back. I really didn't feel like we were having a QSO (two way exchange of information).

The log checking software will take "common" abbreviations for the power (like K or KW) and convert them to integers. However, I can't guarantee to correctly process some of the less common abbreviations. Many JAs send TUT for their power. You should put 020 or 20 in your log.

Finally, log checking is done with all of the powers converted to integers. Therefore, 1000 is the same as KW and K.

Tree N6TR
[email protected]

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   recorder for cw on FT1000MP MK V
Previous Topic:   tr-7800
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.