Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Contesting Elmer Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Contesting Elmer Reply
by W5CPT on November 27, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
I'm in the process of putting my (meager) station back on the air after moving. I have a good site, far from neighbors and high on a hill, but need some specific help on putting together a station that could be used for contesting. I have never been a serious contester but would like to not waste time and money doing something that might be counter productive. I'm in west Kentucky near the Il. state line. Would love to visit some established contesting stations.

Thanks
de W5CPT
Clint

RE: Contesting Elmer Reply
by N2MG on November 28, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Hi Clint,

I would recommend that you look for a local contest club and look at the contest results published to see who may be in your area. Also, you might want to subscribe to cq-contest reflector (see left menu area of this page). Often near contest time, owners of multi-ops announce on there that they are looking for guys...

Contesting in general does not appeal to everybody and even to those that it does, it can involve significant investment in time/money if taken seriously. I'm not sure what your goals are, but if you are new to the game, the best thing you can do is test the waters - by finding a multi-op to visit during a contest or perhaps putting up reasonable antennas at the home QTH and see how they/you play.

Mike N2MG

RE: Contesting Elmer Reply
by KB1FWN on November 29, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Hey Clint!
Yes, I would recommend going to a local contesting club. Here's my experiences...
There are a few types of contest stations. Most people begin with the first. This is to build a single operator, single radio setup. This works just fine. If you want to expand, you can have more than 1 radio, but retaining the one operator. The next notch up is having a multi radio, multi operator station, which is more expensive and takes more time. I have one, and it takes a while to accumulate. I would recommend starting off with 1 rig, 1 operator. If you see that you like it, and know other people who would be willing to help you make a multi op station, then you can do that as well! Don't listen to me alone, check out a local contest club for more information.
73', de Mike, KB1FWN.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   June VHF QSO Party
Previous Topic:   AEA MM 3 Morse Machine Software
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.