Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Gas Generators or 12V Inverters? Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Gas Generators or 12V Inverters? Reply
by n7vy on September 8, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Since moving to California almost 2 years ago my contesting ability has been almost non existant. I am thinking about going portable to contest. My thought is to rent a u-haul truck and operate out of it. My radio is a Yaesu FT-1000D and I need a way to power it up. What do you field day ops use to power your radios? I know it would be easier to get a 12v radio but the receiver in the 1000 is outstanding. I would be operating QRP, so the power in watts would be in the 750 watts or less range.

Thanks for your help.

Gordon N7VY/qrp/6

RE: Gas Generators or 12V Inverters? Reply
by WW5X on September 9, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
I don't really have the answer - I just like the fact that 750 watts is QRP! Either should work - just the problem of the "square wave" on the computer's clock - true sine-wave inverters are available but $$$. Probably some combination of batteries with generator for recharging when needed would be the most versatile in my opinion.

Bill

by N7RX on September 11, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
You're going to need wicked big batteries to run 750 watts with an inverter for the duration of the contest. Assuming that you mean true QRP (e.g., > 5 watts), inverters work fine as long as you get one that doesn't generate any hash. We've had mixed results - its kind of crap shoot.

Generators, on the other hand, can be loud and stinky. I suppose if I were you and I wanted to run QRO out of the back of a truck with a 1000D, I'd get one of those little honda 1,5 Kw generators.

by n7vy on September 11, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
The 750 watts would be 110 volt. I would need to run the radio, laptop and maybe a rotator. I would hate to buy and find out that it will not work correctly. Any others with experience or opinions?

Gordon N7VY/qrp/6

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Importing Equipment into Europe !
Previous Topic:   Contest Log compare utility
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.