Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : CONTEST OPERATING Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

CONTEST OPERATING Reply
by W0YR on August 8, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
In this age of computers, why can't an equalizer, say--giving handicaps to certain grid squares - be devised to end the unfair advantage the E. and W. coast have over those in the black hole? Why should the same operator with the same set up in Virginia place more highly in the contest than a poor sodbuster in Kansas who knocks himself out? It can't be justified, except that it's just easier to maintain the status quo. What do you think?

RE: CONTEST OPERATING Reply
by k7zo on August 9, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Personally I contest for the fun of it. Besides any handicap system is never going to be perfect enough to really level the playing field, way to many variables involved.

by N4SL on August 11, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
The contests I enter are divided into states and sections within states, so I'm competing with others up here in the "sufferin' sevens". I live 50 miles north of Seattle.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother! I supposedly share the 'left coast' with southern California, but the propagation is really inferior up here.

I think I have an advantage on the 10m contest, I can work a string of Japanese ops for hours on end, it's pretty neat.

I work SS, 10m contest and the 160m contest mostly, my station isn't competitive for the real DX contests.

73, Steve N4SL
Machias, WA

by NT3R on August 3, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I live in Kansas, and I agree it is tough out here. But I think it makes it even more challenging. Granted I'll know I will never make the Top Ten list or a magazine cover, but I still try.

I have a postage stamp sized lot, less than ideal antennas, and far from state of the art radio equipment, But every time I get in there with everyone else. The only person I compete against is myself, and I have fun and for me thats all that counts.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Anyone need a op for WW DX?
Previous Topic:   towertalk
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.