Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : 2001 Sweepstakes Scoring Forums Help

1-8 of 8 messages

Page 1 of 1  

2001 Sweepstakes Scoring Reply
by N4SL on May 10, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
My 2001 CW and SSB ARRL sweepstakes scores were badly dinged by the ARRL this year. They took 82 QSOs off my score for CW!

For the SSB contest I worked 80 sections in 80 QSOs but they reported 76 QSOs and 77 sections (?).

It was my first year for doing computer logging (WriteLog) - could I have been that far off?

If others who have used computer logging before could say how normal this is?

The ARRL reported a "new program" for error checking in place this year... oh oh, new software!! I'm not pointing fingers, I just don't want to get dinged badly next year if there is something stupid I'm doing wrong.

73, Steve N4SL

RE: 2001 Sweepstakes Scoring Reply
by N2MG on May 12, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
I'm not sure how really "new" the software is. They have been doing this kind of checking for several years now. Of course, they "improve" it year to year.

Be sure to get your UBN reports from the League - email Dan, [email protected] and ask him for them. (Gee, I wish this were automated, but Dan has to respond individually.) Looking them over should enlighten you as to what may be going on. In my experience, the software used for this stuff is very good and as frustrating as it is, the vast majority of the dinged QSOs are truly bad.

However, it's not impossible that they made mistakes. There have been several rather notable errors in the past, but hopefully they won't repeat themselves.

73 Mike N2MG

by N4SL on May 15, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Thanks for the input, Mike.

I did email Dan and he replied it was a manual process and to wait (and don't ask again, he'll get to it!) I imagine he is swamped with emails from whiners like me each year.

I just want to avoid this for next year - it was a huge disappointment to me. Still have the 10m and 160m contest results coming with far simpler exchanges, I'm dying to see how THEY come out!!

73, Steve N4SL

by N2MG on May 15, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Steve, breaking news from the cq-contest reflector:

ARRL now publishes the LCR (log checking report) data.

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/lcr.html

Don't worry, one can only see one's own results. And one has to be a member.

Lots of "old hands" at contesting got a real wakeup call the first time they had their logs checked. SS is probably the "worst" contest as there are so many ways of losing points (complex exchange).

Don't despair and don't let poor log checking results get you down!

by N4SL on May 18, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
Thanks for the tip, Mike, I got my results and will compare them against my logs.

I operated W7MRG, my club call, for a few hours in the SSB SS and I accidentally sent my personal Check number sometimes instead of the club's check. This caused some guys to lose the contact due to my error.

On the negative side, I have worked one or two people in a contest on several occasions and not submitted a log, I realize now these people lost the contact due to my being 'unique'.

Onward, upward. Yawn.
73, Steve N4SL

by N2MG on May 18, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
<< I operated W7MRG, my club call, for a few hours in the SSB SS and I accidentally sent my personal Check number sometimes instead of the club's check. This caused some guys to lose the contact due to my error. >>

This problem is usually detected by the log checking software - it is supposed to then declare you as an "unstable" log and not check the exchange.

<< On the negative side, I have worked one or two people in a contest on several occasions and not submitted a log, I realize now these people lost the contact due to my being 'unique'. >>

This is common misconception. Your being "unique" or not turning in a log alone generally does not disqualify a contact. There are only one or two contests that require both parties to turn in a log in order for a contact to "count". Sweepstakes is not one of them. If a call is reported as "unique" it's really just for informational purposes.

by k5tr on June 4, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
>> << I operated W7MRG, my club call, for a few hours in >>the SSB SS and I accidentally sent my personal Check >>number sometimes instead of the club's check. This >>caused some guys to lose the contact due to my error. >>

>This problem is usually detected by the log checking >software - it is supposed to then declare you as an >"unstable" log and not check the exchange.

My understanding is that stations are only maked
unstable if there is a well defined pattern.
If you say your check or section wrong some
some small precentage of stations than you will
not get listed as unstable.

My 2001 SS SSB log check report can be found here:

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/logs/logcheck/k5tr_2001_ssb_ss_log_check_report.html

by n6tr on June 14, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
I can address one concern the original post expressed. Having 76 QSOs and 77 sections is a possible result. If you are found to have a busted call, or not-in-log, there is a penalty QSO removed from you log. This will not result in a multiplier being removed.

It should also be noted that the ARRL will send out clean sweep awards using pre-checked scores.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   contesting
Previous Topic:   CQWWDX CW
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.