Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : CATV HARDLINE Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

CATV HARDLINE Reply
by N8XP on December 18, 2001 Mail this to a friend!

Has anyone tried to bury CATV 75 Ohm hardline? I have heard that it's okay to put the stuff in the ground,but on the other hand I've heard that it isn't a good idea. If you did bury the CATV stuff was it placed in PVC pipe or what?

The CATV stuff is sure cheaper then the other hardline!

73, Roger N8XP

RE: CATV HARDLINE Reply
by w8car on December 18, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I have several runs of haardline lying on the ground and one run in a conduit. I have noticed no change in the covering or other noise on the line. This line was free from the local cable company (friend works there) so I could, if needed replace it. It has been in use for 8 year s of so and still going strong. The ground chemistry will affect the life of the cable. I live on sand and the cable is usually dry-even after rain so I believe it lasts onger thatn if buried directly in clay or other soil that will attack the AL.

Dan W8CAR

by N9CO on December 19, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I had a run of the 0.75" diameter un-jacketed (bare Al) stuff that was buried a few inches below ground. It was not in conduit, just laid in a shallow trench and covered up with dirt. Part of the run to the tower goes over my septic drain field. After about 3 years in the ground, the feedline began to develop problems, first manifested by drastic shifts in vswr. I was using WX0B 50:75 ohm un-un's at each end.

This past summer, I went to replace this line with some 0.875" diameter Andrews heliax. I discovered that the catv hardline had seriously weakened in many spots, especially over the septic field. The cable literally fell apart every 1 to 2 feet as I took it out of the ground.

I'm not complaining, though. The hardline was free, and it served me well for 3 years. Although I haven't used it, from what I have heard from those that have, the black jacketed stuff survives much better when buried directly.

73 es GL!
Charlie N9CO

by K2DRH on January 16, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
I agree, depending on the soil, it can corrode in very short order. You can luck out and get jacketed direct burial CATV hardline if you look for it. I had a partial roll when I was in AL and used it only for the buried portions. I got some in-line splices and a coring tool from the local CATV compancy and used the regular stuff above ground. The splices have negligible loss even up to 432 Mhz. If you use it on a tower be sure to secure it well. The aluminum hitting the galvanized steel in the wind will actually produce "shot" noises in the receiver.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   sending contest log via e-mail
Previous Topic:   rtty contest program
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.