Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Hygain AV-640 Vertical Forums Help

1-6 of 6 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Hygain AV-640 Vertical Reply
by G4GSA on October 30, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Would appreciate any comments on the construction and does this aerial tune up okay

RE: Hygain AV-640 Vertical Reply
by AD1C on November 1, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Tuned and works fine here. Had a couple of parts issues, but they were easily solved. Gave an edge on 20m and 30m compared to my G5RV and Cushcraft R7.

by K2WU on November 5, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Been using the AV-640 for six months. Good construction
and goes up easy. Only needed minor tuning (simple) on
two bands. Doesn't detune in the rain like the HyGain
DX-77 that it replaced. Have mine mounted on a 4 foot
pole in the ground and I bust most pile-ups with ease.

by KC2G on November 10, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I wish my experience had been as positive. My base insulator was misdrilled, and as a result my antenna tilted (not noticeable when assembling it, but let 26 feet go up in the air and it was).

My antenna does detune with rain (resonant frequency falls). Some of my tuning lengths were very much at variance with the expected lengths, and I had to send the matching transformer back that came with unit. It was broken upon arrival.

Now the good news: it works well, cannot compete on 10 - 20 with my yagi, but does VERY well on 30 and 40, which is why I got it. Has stood up to some wonderful Ozarks weather, and is no worse for wear. I seem to be the odd-man-out as far as my experience goes, so I'll chalk it up to the luck of the draw.

Art

by PA1TX on November 12, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Excellent DX-antenna, doesn't detune and no resonance during the stormy wheather upon my roof.
Minor problem is the insulator after several storms, the thight fitting loses up.
Now I've an elevation of 5dgr (HI).

vy73's Gerard

by AD1C on November 15, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
The antenna detunes when wet because the stub insulators are too close to the ends of the stubs (the high voltage point). Drop them down about a foot and the detuning problem should lessen.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   SB220 on six meters
Previous Topic:   Earth to anybody.....
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.