Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : CW Sweeps Serial Nr Question Forums Help

1-9 of 9 messages

Page 1 of 1  

CW Sweeps Serial Nr Question Reply
by KG4EMM on October 24, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
What is the standard method of x-mitting a serial number when starting a (CW) contest? Should one send a simple 1, 2, or preceed it with 0's (i.e. 001, 002)? If zero's, how many? Thoughts/comments?

Tnx de KG4EMM

RE: CW Sweeps Serial Nr Question Reply
by ve3iay on October 24, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Terry,

In Sweepstakes, if I can trust my memory (it's been almost a year, after all!), the most common exchange is just the number "as is", no leading zeros, no "cut" numbers. The next most common is probably to pad low serial numbers with enough T's (for zero) to make up three digits, as in TT1. Remember, in Sweepstakes the exchange is long and complex. It's probably best to be as predictable as possible, so you don't run the risk of putting the other guy off his stride and getting asked to repeat the entire thing.

In contests like WPX with a short exchange and high rates, you will see a lot more variety. The exchange for someone's 10th contact could be anything from ENNAT at 50 WPM to 599(space)010 at 15 WPM. Keeps you on your toes!

73 and CU in SS,
Rich VE3IAY

by W8UE on October 24, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
My preference is, send the number only, without leading zeroes. Then leave a space between the number and the next character, then spaces between each element of the exchange. This helps the receiving operator copy accurately the first time. Good luck - I will be listening for you.

Ted W8UE

by N2MG on October 28, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
It depends...as always. If you get on at the beginning of the contest, everyone is sending FAST (so extra characters are undesirable) and everyone is expecting low numbers... so no leading zero(s) necessary.

If you first get on late Sunday afternoon, when rates are slower, and, of course, then, a low number is unexpected, you MIGHT be better off sending a pair of leading "T"s in front of the numbers 1-9. In reality, this lasts only for nine QSOs, so no big deal - do what you're comfortable with.

by N4SL on November 9, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I know CW SS is over, but I'd like to say the standard on SS is to send just the straight number, no leading zeros and no 'cut' numbers.

My personal preference is to send the letters "NR" before the actual number, it prepares the person for the number coming up and I think it's much easier to get sync'd up on a string. I have noticed, however, that only the old farts do this, I could go either way.

Hey, KG4EMM, I worked you at 2317 UTC on the CW SS!

73, Steve N4SL (OF)

by KG4EMM on November 11, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Hey Thanks All (and Steve N4SL !)
I guess I got over my "jitters" and worked about 6 hours of the contest. Ended up with 181 Q's and 52 sections. By no means a "serious" entry, but hey, one has to start somewhere. For the others curious about Serial Nr's, I just used the "straight" number, no preceeding zeros, etc. After the first few contacts, I wasn't nearly as intimidated at the speed of the exchange, had to ask for a few repeats, but not too many.
Tnx to all for the help es 73
Terry KG4EMM

by n6tr on November 12, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I can remember some people sending leading zeros, and then fading out when they got to the important part.

For me, it gets down to exchanging information and adding leading zeros does nothing to add information. It could be argued that they help "sync" the rest of the information, but I would think it is better to send something like "NR" as a sync pulse.

Besided, this is only a problem for about the first 45 minutes of the contest - right? :-)

Tree N6TR (op W5WMU CW SS)

I can remember some people sending leading zeros, and then fading out when they got to the important part.

For me, it gets down to exchanging information and adding leading zeros does nothing to add information. It could be argued that they help "sync" the rest of the information, but I would think it is better to send something like "NR" as a sync pulse.

Besided, this is only a problem for about the first 45 minutes of the contest - right? :-)

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Replacement Tubes
Previous Topic:   Free standing towers
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.