Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Whats the best filter lineup in a TS850? Forums Help

1-9 of 9 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Whats the best filter lineup in a TS850? Reply
by wd4lam on September 7, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I'm considering installing a 500hz 2nd IF(8.8K)and a 270hz in the 3rd IF(455khz). But Kenwood has the options so I can reverse that order. Which is the best way?? Or should I install 270s in both IFs and use the 1.8k SSB filter with slope tuning to narrow the bandwidth for the wider situations?

RE: Whats the best filter lineup in a TS850? Reply
by n6tr on September 7, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I have the two stock 500 Hertz filters and the optional 270 Hertz. I wasn't aware that you could get the 270 for either IF frequency.

As it turns out - I almost never use the 270 Hertz filter. I haven't bothered adding it to my second radio. The stock filters work just fine - and if you need to tighten the passband up a little, using the HI/LO cut knobs work great.

My operation includes many hours sitting in KW alley on 40 meters in the SS CW from W5WMU.

Tree N6TR

by N1MM on September 10, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Don't get the 1.8, it is too narrow. I have the IRCI 400 Hz cw filters. They are a delight, except on 10m where there is too much attenuation in them.

I also have the IRCI 2.1 kHz SSB filters. They are too sharp for general use, but helpful during really bad qrm.

Tom - N1MM

by wd4lam on September 10, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Tree, Tom

Thanks for the input. I'm going to combine your suggestions. I'll stack the 500hz filters, and add the 2.1 IRC ssb filter.

Thanks guys!!!

Danny, WD4LAM

Tom, I like your contest software. I just wish I was better with VB6.

by ES5QX on September 10, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
CW:Definitely get 500Hz filters for both IFs. That is what I have and this works in most cases. 270 is way too narrow to use on CQ, or RIT like mad, which you won't have time for. It is nice sometimes for searching.
SSB: Don't get 1.8kHz - you'll lose in readability what you gain by selectivity. I don't do much SSB, but some of my friends at ES5Q complain that the stock (2.7 or 2.4?) filters are too wide.
2x2.1+2x500 is about optimum. You can add one 270Hz.

Also, it depends on your operating habits/modes/needs.

Juhan ES5QX

by K5KA on September 11, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I use 2 IRC 400 cycle filters for CW, but they are really tight and sharp on the edges.

RE: What's the best filter lineup in a TS850? Reply
by k2ua on September 17, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I too have the Inrad 400-Hz CW filters. The 8.83-MHz IF filter loss is pretty high; it's much higher than the Kenwood filter it replaced. But since the '850 makes it so easy to select which filter combination you want, it's easy to select the right ones for the conditions.

I also have the 1.8-kHz INRAD SSB filter. Love it. It's harsh at first, but it gives you the selectivity you need to operate SSB contests with this radio. It's head and shoulders above the Kenwood 1.8-kHz filter, and the radio is very good on SSB with this filter installed. I recommend this lineup. You won't miss having a 270- or 250-Hz filter at all. Inrad is also a great company to deal with. I have six of their filters, and a couple of other widgets, in my FT-1000MP as well; I have nothing but good to say about them.

by pa7two on December 21, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Hi all,

I bought a Kenwood TS850SAT) two weeks ago (for replacement of my TS690SAT).
I installed in my TS850 2 x 2.4KHz filters and I must say that during the ARRL contest last weekend this filter setup is UFB! Compared to the 2 x 2.7KHz standard fitted filters much more rejection of spatter with the 2.4 KHz filters. For CW, I've got one single 500HZ filter, that works fine for me.
Vy 73, de Kees PA7TWO.

RE: What's the best filter lineup in a TS850? Reply
by k5rhz on June 9, 2002 Mail this to a friend!
I have owned a TS850 abt nine years . It is a great rig . Have been thinking abt maybe trading for a ft1000 or maybe the field. I saw on the net that you own both so how do they compare? Would it be worth the money? Let me know your opinion.

K5rhz Charles Fisher

Email
[email protected]

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Free standing towers
Previous Topic:   Better back up. TS440SAT fpr TS450SAT?
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.