Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Better back up. TS440SAT fpr TS450SAT? Forums Help

1-8 of 8 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Better back up. TS440SAT fpr TS450SAT? Reply
by wd4lam on August 24, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Which radio would make a better backup/spotter when your budget is limited? The TS440SAT of TS450SAT?

RE: Better back up. TS440SAT fpr TS450SAT? Reply
by wd4lam on August 24, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Stupid keyboard.

by N6NZ on August 27, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Summary: 450
Long answer: In my experience, the 450 sucks less. It is easier to interface to computer (although you still need to buy or build a box), and I like the ergonomics
better on the 450 than the 440.
That said, both radios have crap for front ends. They overload and produce gobs of intermod inside. Again, here the 450 sucks a little less, but it still sucks.
The best use for these radios in any multi-transmitter
situation is a doorstop, as they make too large a
paper weight.
All that said, either radio as a second radio for spotting is much better than no second radio at all, and at varios times at various stations I've made plenty of Q's on both. After all, the point is to get them in the log.
-n6nz

by wd4lam on August 28, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Wow....thanks for the input....sounds like..in the $500 or less range for a back up...one should consider the TS830???

by ES5QX on September 10, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I have not got my hand on the 830, but we used an 820 here at ES5Q multiop, and it was rock solid in situations where IC706, IC735, FT840 were blown away by local QRM.
This said, a 450 is probably better because it's easy to interface to a computer. You get instant jumps to packet spots and reduce the possibility to log on a wrong band.

Juhan ES5QX

by wd4lam on September 13, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Thanks for all the good input. Let me futher specify that is a SO2R situation.

Again, thanks for all the input.

Danny, WD4LAM

RE: Better back up. TS440SAT or TS450SAT? Reply
by k2ua on September 26, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I used to operate SO2R using a TS-850S as my main radio and a TS-690S (same as a TS-450S, but with 6 meters) as the second radio. It worked okay. I echo N6NZ's eloquent commentary.

If I had this particular thing to do again, I would just buy a second TS-850. The money would be very well spent; the '850 is head and shoulders above the '450/690 in a contest environment, yet is small enough to make a compact SO2R layout. In fact I replaced my '690 with a second TS-850 and later replaced that with an FT-1000MP. Aside from some filter-switching flexibility, the 'MP doesn't bring much to the party--the '850 is its equal in all important respects. There's no doubt in my mind that you can't find a better radio for the money than the '850, and lots of them are out there in the $800 price range.

by k4rlb on September 29, 2003 Mail this to a friend!
I am in the process of purchasing a HF Radio. I THOUGHT I was buynig a TS440SAT (of which I am familiar) but it turns out that the radio is a TS450SAT. Now, my question is...which radio is the "better" radio????? I have went to "rigs and Pics" and have reviewed the two radios but I would like to have some personal imput. How many memory channels on the 450? Thanks, Bob

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Whats the best filter lineup in a TS850?
Previous Topic:   HY-GAIN ROTOR CONTROL TIP
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.