Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : HY-GAIN ROTOR CONTROL TIP Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

HY-GAIN ROTOR CONTROL TIP Reply
by N8XP on August 9, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
For the top tech folks among us, please disregard.

I have a Hy-Gain T2X antenna rotor.Over the past year,the rotor has either refused to start, or wouldn't start at all. I found the fix on Norm's Rotor Service web page.

The fix is replacing the motor start capicator.
The capicator MUST be an AC capicator not DC.
The values for the capicator listed on Norm's page
is 120 to 140 mFD capiactor. I replaced the AC cap. on my Hy-Gain rotor with a 130 mFD 110 volt AC capicator. I bought the cap. at a local electric motor repair shop
for $9.00

NOW the rotor works GREAT. It starts everytime and has speeded up the rotation of the antenna/rotor.
NOTE: The new cap. must be connected between lugs 4 and 8 on the back of the rotor control box where the wires from the rotor on the tower hook up. The motor start cap. on my T2X is on the top side of the case just behind the direction indicator meter.

Norm's web addres is: www.rotorservice.com

Hy-Gain motor start capacitor tip Reply
Anonymous post on August 10, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
The motor start capacitor can be installed at the rotor across terminal 4 & 8 (weather-proofed of course).
This helps motor operation by removing nearly all the control cable resistance & inductance.
It also allows the use of 6 conductor control cable (terminals 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7) instead of 8.

RE: Hy-Gain motor start capacitor tip Reply
by N2MG on September 5, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Depending on the geometry of your installation, a good compromise can be to mount the cap at the base of the tower in a weather-proof box. Then, from there, only 6 wires to the shack (and 8 up the tower) and cap replacement is a snap.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Better back up. TS440SAT fpr TS450SAT?
Previous Topic:   G4FZE PileUP
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.