Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Busted calls Forums Help

1-4 of 4 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Busted calls Reply
by NJ3K on May 28, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
I know this has been a problem that has been beat to death, but. I just finnished the CQ WPX CW test and I busted a few calls because of my inability, tired, & brain death. There were some that were way down in the noise and when I sent their call back they said CFM or QSL but when I checked the call in the data banks nothing found. Ok I'll try to improve my ability but please if you say CFM then I got your call correct. Now how do I improve my ability to copy these weak in the noise calls? I keep my speed at no more then 30 wpm. But the noise can cover a dit or dah very easy, and turn that "k" into a "a" or a "h" to an "s".

RE: Busted calls Reply
by k5tr on May 29, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Operate alot.

If you have any doubt that you got the call wrong - ask for a fill - keep asking if you
are not sure you have it. Sometimes you have to give up on a QSO if you can not
get the callsign and/or information.

by N2MG on June 7, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
The other station has *some* incentive to be sure YOU got his call correct, but less incentive than you. It is really your responsibility to be sure you copied the call correctly. Practice, good equipment, and persistent asking for repeats all help. If you aren't really sure, don't log him.

by k1vv on October 3, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Bruce ... no matter how careful you are there is always a chance in the heat
of battle that we ALL will do it ... we have ... mistyped the call .. hit
an adjacent key ... software spotted the wrong frequncy ... etc ..

The thing that bothers me is when some Op who thinks he
is perfect comes on the cluster and gives you a ration of crap in a Message to "ALL" ... We have had it happen to us ... But when we found out that this op does this all the time ... we had to consider
the source .... After all he is PERFECT ...

We do a lot of spotting during casual operating and contesting .... and we will continue to do it at the risk of making a mistake ....
The only op who does not make any mistakes is the one who does NOTHING..

73 Whitey K1VV

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   TH6 AND TH7 TRIBANDERS
Previous Topic:   TS-570 or FT-920?
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.