Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Kids Day Forums Help

1-2 of 2 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Kids Day Reply
by KB9VJS on December 8, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Not quite as serious a contest as some .. but I am looking for any tips on making Kids Day a success.

RE: Kids Day Reply
by k1ir on December 12, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Easy. Let Kids' Day belong to the kids. Get a group of them together. I've had as many as five in may shack at once. Give them a station tour. Explain that you need a transmitter, a receiver and an antenna to make contacts. Draw a picture of signals bouncing off the ionosphere. Teach them about the frequencies that hams are allowed to use and show them how to read the dial. Make a demonstration contact. Then turn it over to them. Let them decide what band to be on. Let them make mistakes - like choosing a band that isn't open. Then, be available to explain why another band might be a better choice. Let them talk about whatever they want with their peers in the shack and on-the-air. Get them to enjoy the peer-to-peer socialization aspect of the hobby. They get a lot more motivation from their peers than from the older generation.

Jim K1IR

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Help: Converting log to Cabrillo
Previous Topic:   ARRL contest
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.