Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : HEARING LOSS AND CONTESTING Forums Help

1-5 of 5 messages

Page 1 of 1  

HEARING LOSS AND CONTESTING Reply
by N8XP on December 3, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
If you suffer from hearing loss in both ears as I do,
using the S&P mode in most contest software is the answer. I used 100 percent S&P in the CQWW/CW test and ran up 227,252 points. Never called CQ once! Not bad for me!!

No, I will probalby never be on the "top rung of scores", but I still keep at it. I have had this problem for 25 years and have learned to live with it during contests. Give it a try!

Roger, N8XP

RE: HEARING LOSS AND CONTESTING Reply
by ab4rl on December 4, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Roger brings up an interesting point. The contesting community (and DXing) rarely talks about hearing and the effects of prolonged exposure to loud noise levles. G3SXW wrote briefly on this topic back in CQ-Contest a few issues ago. But, my question is: how loud should we be turning up the volume without hurting ourselves in the long run? I know it's all very subjective but I want to be enjoying radio for the next few decades if I can...73, Art

by K6DGW on December 12, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Hmmm ... I left a substantial part of my hearing in SE Asia. I don't do well on SSB in a
contest environment, so I generally stick to CW. I've sort of gravitated to S&P mode in
TR but never knew why ... it just worked better than calling CQ. In fact, about the only time
I use CQ mode is with a group when we activate Alpine county, CA each year during CQP.
BANDMAP in TR really helps in S&P, and may level the playing field a bit.

Fred K6DGW

by n8ea on December 23, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
I know several old timers that have substantialy damaged their hearing due to CW operating. I think trying to operate full break-in was a major contributor. I try to keep the audio level low most of the time. I know that the telephone company (Bell Labs) did a huge amount of research on the subject. A special device know as a varistor was included in the telephones.

by N4ZR on February 13, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Interesting thread. I've been a ham for 46 years so far, mostly contesting, mostly CW, and I just got a competitive antenna system in the last 4 years. I have now "discovered" running and gotten decent at it. My hearing also was tested every year while I was working -- I retired in 1996 -- and aside from the usual high-frequency roll-off developed no problems, so I'm skeptical about any linkage between headphone use and hearing loss.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   10m ARRL contest
Previous Topic:   Technician Level Contesting
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.