Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : CW Speed Limit Forums Help

1-6 of 6 messages

Page 1 of 1  

CW Speed Limit Reply
by wb0cw on December 18, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
Maybe there needs to be a "Restrictor Plate" on some of the keyboards during a CW contest. Is there a minimum or maximum speed according to conditions??

RE: CW Speed Limit Reply
by K8GU on December 19, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
Why should there be a speed limit? The competitors will go at a speed which they feel benefits their score. If conditions and operators don't support QRQ; they (usually) slow down. This isn't a big problem in my mind.

by N4SL on January 2, 2007 Mail this to a friend!
I'm a QRO QRQ contester and have struggled with this issue for years.

When conditions are good and there are a lot of participants, the best score is obtained by staying fast.

In all contestests, as the contest drags on the participation declines, especially if you have a good signal you may well have worked everyone and are just picking up the casual entries who get one, run up and down the dial S&P'ing for 45 minutes and going QRT.

So, in a standard 2-day contest, on the 2nd day I still hear some Big Dogs calling 40WPM CQ and getting.... no response. I'm sitting 1KHz away calling 18WPM CQ and working a steady string of slower contesters and QRP'ers. I always modify my speed to meet the speed of the caller which sometimes means QRS to 10WPM and sometimes QRQ to 35.

BUT when the contest is hot, the speeds are hotter. When you get more experience in CW, you'll be doing it too, no sweat.

by kr2q on January 3, 2007 Mail this to a friend!
What does QRP have to do with slow CW speeds?

de Doug KR2Q

by ae6rf on January 21, 2007 Mail this to a friend!
QRP doesn't have any correlation to QRS, however QRP may require more effort to "pull out of the mud."

I'm much more likely to expend that effort on the second day when all the "easy pickings" have been worked.

-Donald

by N4SL on May 12, 2007 Mail this to a friend!
The QRP'ers know to slow down when they are weak, it's only common sense. As a QRP'er, I know if the other station is a real contest station (QRO) and they aren't at least S9, I'm going to be weak and will QRS.

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   exchange
Previous Topic:   When & where to run/h&p?
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.