Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : TS-930S vs. TS-830S Forums Help

1-5 of 5 messages

Page 1 of 1  

TS-930S vs. TS-830S Reply
by W4UDX on August 29, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
I am giving up my QRP staiton for a contest rig. I can afford eithere a TS-930SAT or a TS-830S. Sherwood Engineering's test data show the 830S as a better performer with the optional filter. Which one would really be better for contesting?

RE: TS-930S vs. TS-830S Reply
by K8GU on August 30, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
The TS-830S certainly has a better receiver than the TS-930S. But, the TS-930S has two real advantages for contesting over the TS-830S:

1. It has a solid-state PA so you don't have to re-tune every time you change bands.

2. It's computer-controllable with the PIEXX digital board upgrade (about $280 new).

As a matter of operation, I would choose a radio with a good receiver that allowed me to change bands quickly over a radio with an excellent receiver that takes longer to change bands. Hence, I own two TS-930's. You may have other requirements, though.

by KB9CRY on October 9, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
The 830 also does not have a second VFO and one must obtain the separate VFO to allow split operation.

The 930's receiver is always on the list of best receivers for low band/weak signal work.

I use a 930 as my primary rig and my backup rig, which can be switched in line in an instant, is an 830.

Phil KB9CRY

by K2DRH on October 16, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
Buy a used TS-850 and get the best of both worlds plus one of the best transverter IF's on the market.

by W4UDX on January 16, 2007 Mail this to a friend!
UPDATE: I decided to get my old favorite contest rig, an Icom IC-740. I am currently loading it up with optional SSB filters. I am using an aviation grade Telex headset, with a DX-4 Heil element. Should be OK....

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Tower Anchors
Previous Topic:   ADIF error
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.