Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Korea Forums Help

1-2 of 2 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Korea Reply
Anonymous post on August 20, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Any English speaking clubs/contest groups in the Seoul area? I'm new in town and need an activity other than going to bars!
And any foreigners gone through the process of getting a Korean license?

Carl

RE: Korea Reply
by wa6bob on September 14, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
I applied for a South Korean license this year with a
duration of processing taking about three months through the KARL. I handled the majority of the questions and answers via email before filing my form.

The paper work was mailed to KARL when completed,included the application form, a copy of my FCC license, and Passport.

The high power fee, 100 Watts was $100.00 US dollars, of which I then submitted a bank transfer note to the KARL Bank account as they furnished this information to me upon my request.

The duration of your license is one year and they will need to know if you will be a guest op or operating at a fixed location and with your own radio gear and type of antennas planned to be used. You will need to furnish this information and your date of arrival so as to have your station inspected as well as the registration of your radio equipment being brought into South Korea prior to your solo operation.

They will also furnish with your license a list of operating frequencies with the power and modes permitted.

A person that will help you with further information about activities, contesting, DX and just about anything else is HL1EJT,PARK KEUN-SEONG. His email address is: [email protected]

Please inform him that you obtained this from me, John (Bob) WA6BOB. He will be happy to help you.

Here is a copy of the information obtained from

http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/hl.htm

Prepared by: OH2MCN - Veke & HL1SSG - Min & HL1IWD - Lee & HL2RU - Simon

Intro: From this year 2000, any foreign nationals who have a valid amateur radio license can receive Korean radio license in proper time.

PTT:
There are seven regional offices, here is the ONE in Seoul:
Officer for Amateur Radio Licensing
Department of Electromagnetic Wave Management
Regional Office of Telecommunications in Seoul
Kwangwhamum Post Office 7-th floor
154-1 Seorin-dong, Chongro-ku
Seoul, Korea
Phone : +82-2-725-2801

Licenses handled by
KARL
KOREA (South Korea): Korean Amateur Radio League [KARL]
Address: C.P.O. Box 162, Seoul 100-601
Telephone: +82 (2) 575-9580
Telefax: +82 (2) 576-8574
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

Paperwork needed:
Application form can be obtained by writing KARL, and KARL will help him/her. KARL also processes all the required licensing procedure on behalf of the applicants. The application must be submitted to KARL 60 days before you want to start operate, and callsign will be HL#/home_call where # is call area (1 to 5) where you want to operate.
The best way to get a license:
Price:
Application fee is 80,000 won (approximately US$105) for station transmitting below 50 watt, 100,000 won (approx. US$132) for station transmitting above 50 watt as of June 5, 1996.
Special calls:
How long before you can operate?
License restrictions:
Customs:
Useful local contacts:
Places to operate from:
Notes:
For your reference, Korean hams must have two licenses, one for operator license, another for station license. To get an operator license, we have
to pass an examination, and this entitles to operate a club station. But, to own his/her station with his callsign, we have to apply station license. PTT in Korea inspects the station, and give the station license with a callsign. Japanese (country with reciprocal agreement) hams with valid license of his country do NOT need to take exam for operator's license. But he must apply for station license.

Best to you with your venture to South Korea.
73 John WA6BOB HL1/WA6BOB

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Orion PTT delay
Previous Topic:   KENWOOD TS-120
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.