Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : CW Keyers Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

CW Keyers Reply
by AE1T on September 22, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Serious contesters use computerized CW for CQ, reports, etc. Logging software supports this. What hardware / keyer are people using to key the radio? And, can I buy or must I build?

Peter, AE1T

RE: CW Keyers Reply
by N2MG on September 22, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Peter,
I'm not really sure what you are asking... 1. is it about the hardware necessary to interface a PC that's running a contest logging program to a radio OR 2. is it about the additional use of a separate keyer/paddle for sending CW?

1. Logging programs usually use the parallel port (optionally a serial port) to key the radio. A schematic is usually provided with the logging software for the simple adapter that you need.

If you need to buy one, Jack, W1WEF sells them:

http://www.qth.com/tr/w1wef.html

2. Most ops also connect a standard keyer to the radio so they can use paddles as well.

Hope this helps.
Mike N2MG

RE: CW Keyers Reply
by AE1T on September 23, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Mike,

I was asking about the hardware interface between the computer and the radio. And, coincidentally about what is producing the CW. It sounds like the parallel port interface hardware keys the radio directly. I will check out the logging software's web site and the URL you suggested. It sounds simple enough.

Regarding the separate keyer, is their a "favorite" among the contesters? Paddles? I'm presently using a venerable old Heathkit HD-1410 combo.

Thanks for your help.

Peter, AE1T

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   LOGING PROGRAMS
Previous Topic:   What to do at the Start / when moving bands
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.