Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Contesting Forums Help

1-5 of 5 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Contesting Reply
by N4XDY on June 26, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Why do all the hams make such a big deal about a contest?

RE: Contesting Reply
by vk2cz on June 26, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Contesting is a very individual thing, an analogy; it is like some people who just like to have a regular dinner out with their folks, and then there are others who enjoy a massive wild party a couple of times a year. Some people enjoy doing both..

Of course the people who only like a quiet dinner out for 2 or 3 suddenly find there is a wild party will of course ask your question.

Tis but fun..
Regards,
David VK2CZ

by kd6uao on June 27, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
After participating in Field Day with a first timer, I now understand another aspect of contesting that I never considered. That is introducing a young new ham to another of a great hobbies attributes that he can exercise. Give it a try and go mountain topping with a new friend!

by w8syd on October 29, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Besides being fun, contests provide an opportunity to test equipment and operating techniques. Not insignificant is the fact that contests post communications results which can be used by ARRL and others to demonstrate the capabilities of Amateur Radio. That's important in a world where the radio frequency spectrum is becoming ever more crowded and competition for spectrum becomes more fierce. Being able to communicate in less than perfect conditions is one of the main things that keeps ham radio alive. The primary bases for having an amateur radio service was and is to further the art and science of radio communication and to provide an alternative means of communication under emergency conditions where more traditional communications fail.

Byron, [email protected]

by na9u on November 21, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Amatuer radio is about communicating to people all over the world. Today you can do that on a phone or the Internet. Not to say amatuers still don't communicate but we need more to make the hobby fun and novel. Areas that come to mind for me are chasing awards and contests. Some guys chase DX too. Contests are great fun and have really made the hobby novel and exciting again.

John

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Knowledge
Previous Topic:   RX ANTENNAS FOR LOW BANDS
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.