Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : IC-751A Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

IC-751A Reply
by LU8EGB on September 20, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
Hi everybody,

I�m owner of an IC-751A from some years ago, I�ve noticed
the equipment is a bit "noisy" in IF (I guess), mostly times i must to decrease tone control (less treble) for lowering that hum.It�s not very important indeed ,but a time ago i�ve purchased a complete IF filter Kit (2,1 Khz) from International Radio for both IFs (9 Mhz and 455 Khz)and against the manufacturer says the receiver become more noisy!(The original filter in IC-751A is 2,4 Khz).
The equipment is on specs according the Service Supplement (checked all),and there is no problem with the internal power supply (is the same with DC power).
Maybe this is normal in the equipment,but i�m not sure.
Anyone experienced or "felt" this?

73,from
Ariel/LU8EGB.

RE: IC-751A Reply
by WN1OTV on September 24, 2000 Mail this to a friend!
HELLO,
I AM NOT A TECH, HOWEVER I HAVE OWNED AN IC751A SINCE NEW ES I ALSO OWN A KENWOOD TS50.
THERE IS A MARKED DIFFERENCE IN THE AUDIO BETWEEN THE TWO RADIOS; I WILL TRY TO DESCRIBE. THE KW HAS A RATHER CLEAR PURER SOUND (OUT OF SPEAKER ES PHONES) THAN THE ICOM, ES IT ALSO SOUNDS DEEPER (MORE BASS), HOWEVER, BY ADJUSTING THE NOTCH ES PBT, I CAN MAKE THE ICOM SOUND NEARLY THE SAME BUT OF COURSE WITH A LOSS OF BAND SPACE. THE ICOM STILL SOUNDS MORE "RASPY" (THAT'S THE ONLY WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IT). I ALSO FOUND THAT IF I ENGAGE THE WIDE FILTER ON PHONE, THE AUDIO IS MUCH BETTER.
LIKE I SAID, NO TECH, JUST 6 OR 7 YEARS OF USE.
73 ES GL,
DON - WN1OTV

RE: IC-751A Reply
by RA9OW on February 17, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Hello!
I've been using IC751A permanently in my shack for about half a year. Before that I operated such rig during a DX-pedition several years ago and worked in contests from a club station where '751A was always my the only choice. So, in total, I know the rig for about 7 years.
Every second time I say I'm using '751A on the air I'm getting comments like "super receiver" in reply. Which is really the truth.
I hear DX on low bands better than MOST of my city neighbours with different FT's and TS's or homebrew rigs (in most cases quite competently designed in terms of RX part). + Same wire ANTs.
My '751A is getting less overloaded in contests than FT920 and FT990 at a club station. It's reliability is perfect (proved in contests and in the DX-pedition).
The only drawback I can admit is the absence of tuner, which is not much of a problem if you use it with PA @ properly matched. I also agree that RX audio is not that "juicy" as of some FT's. But that's not bugging me very much.
I tried FT840, FT920, FT990, TS450 + shortly operated FT1000MP, IC775DSP + saw & tuched IC756PRO :))
I can't afford the last three which is bad, but I liked '751 better than the first four, which is good.
Besides, IMHO, IC775DSP's noise blanker works worse. Well, at least it works...
All I need now is a narrow 250Hz/455kHz filter FL53A. Maybe somebody could give me the right link to a forum where I could find a used one for sale? Thank you very much in advance!

73! ILya, RA9OW

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   What to do at the Start / when moving bands
Previous Topic:   Voice Keyers
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.