Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : Working contest stations when not in contest Forums Help

1-10 of 10 messages

Page 1 of 1  

Working contest stations when not in contest Reply
by W6LOL on March 7, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Hello - I do not participate in contests. However, I am sometimes TEMPTED to call DX contest participants, in hopes of adding some QSLs to my country count. So far, I have resisted this temptation, for the following reasons: (1) I'm usually uncertain about the contest rules and syntax, (2) I'm worried that I might mess up some contester's score submission if I submit no log to cross-check, and (3) I figure that contesters would prefer NOT to be swamped with QSL requests as a result of their contest activity. But are my reservations valid or not? I hear other non-contesters on the air, talking about how they scored new countries by working contest stations. Thanks for any insights or advice you can offer on this.
73, Ed

RE: Working contest stations when not in contest Reply
by IT9BLB on March 8, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Hi Ed,
I think that you missed some good QSOs in that way and we (contesters) too!
-1) Just listen few contest QSOs on the band before calling a running station: you'll understand the simple rules easy.
-2) Every contest's organizer likes any sort of log; also few QSOs are very important for the final general check. Anyway, also if you don't send your one, you'll never be cause of problems for partecipants (if you send them it's a better choice of course!).
-3) Personally (over 100.000 contest QSOs in log!) I confirm every QSL's request and, as I know, most of contesters do the same. Your only "risk" is a lost card, but I think that it's never a serious waste of time and/or cards.
See you in next contest!!

Joe, IT9BLB/KF6FBC/IU9S/IH9P

TIKIRRIKI CONTEST CLUB
*** No moscato passito wine ?
*** No party!

by K8GU on March 8, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Of course, Joe's right on...you're welcome to work anyone in the contest. Perhaps your source of confusion with the rules was "who works who" in ARRL DX: USA/Canada stations work DX, but not each other. DX don't work each other, either.

I got started contesting in an attempt to bolster my DXCC totals. I found contesting more fun, though, and stuck with it. After a few contests, you'll find your DXCC total growing nicely.

--Ethan, K8GU.

by W6LOL on March 8, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Hi Joe,
Thank you very much for taking time to respond to my questions. I think you said that it's OK to work some contest stations WITHOUT entering the contest, or submitting log data--and that my doing so will not disrupt the scoring of those who do enter. When the exchange is supposed to include something like a contact number, can I then just make up a number (e.g., "You're my number 103.")? I have already figured out from listening that the exchange of reports is pretty meaningless, since "5-9" is routinely given if a station can be copied at all.
The next time I hear about a contest that might present some QSO/QSL opportunities for me, I will try to look up the rules on the net. If it looks like I can work a few without messing up the entrants, maybe I'll try doing so.
Thanks and 73, Ed

by W6LOL on March 8, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Hi Ethan -
Thank you very much for your comments, too! My concern about the rules was primarily what would happen if I made contacts in the contest, but did not enter. (I didn't and don't want to create scoring problems for the entrants.) But Joe seems to be saying that my concern was unfounded. Your description of the recent "DX" contest makes it sound like it would have been ideal for my purposes. Oh well, maybe next year... if the sun still has a few spots by then.
73, Ed

by IT9BLB on March 9, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Posted By W6LOL

>Hi Joe,
>
>Thank you very much for taking time to respond to my questions. I think you said that it's OK to work some contest stations WITHOUT entering the contest, or submitting log data--and that my doing so will not disrupt the scoring of those who do enter.

Yes, it's exactly what I mean. You'll increase the scoring of those who do enter the contest: it will be very appreciated!

>When the exchange is supposed to include something like a contact number, can I then just make up a number (e.g., "You're my number 103.")?

It'd be correct, when progressive contact numbers are required, start from 001 and add a unit for each new contact (002, 003, ...) It will be the perfect way to well contribute to the contest run, also if you aren't interested in it, of course. Very important: in any case (for example if you're mobile and forget previous sent numbers, try to not give the same number to different stations, it can cause problems during the check log; it's better to have a gap in your numbers instead of the same number sent twice.

>I have already figured out from listening that the exchange of reports is pretty meaningless, since "5-9" is routinely given if a station can be copied at all.

Yes, 99% it is.

>The next time I hear about a contest that might present some QSO/QSL opportunities for me, I will try to look up the rules on the net. If it looks like I can work a few without messing up the entrants, maybe I'll try doing so.

Be sure you'll be really welcome and it will be a good opportunity to log some interesting new calls.

Note: sorry for my poor language!!

Best 73s,
"Joe", IT9BLB/KF6FBC/9H3DC/IH9P/IU9S

http://www.ih9p.com

TIKIRRIKI CONTEST CLUB
*** No moscato passito wine?
*** No party!

by vk2cz on March 13, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
If you are tempted to work the DX stations in a contest, rest assured most of us WILL take you through the protocol if needed, although I cannot speak for everyone..

Additionally, most DX stations will work you, irrespective of contest rules, as there are usually 2 to 3 contests of some descripton happening most weekends, so even if the QSO does not count for us, it may count for you (ie QSL card)..

Please, do come on air, at least us guy's in Oceania will happily work you and guide you thru the hoops. Don't be disheartened if they say 'sorry cannot work'.. translate this to 'the next station will work me.'

Cheers,
David VK9XD

by AL1G on March 15, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
I always tell people that one of the best ways to add new countries or states to your log is to get on during a contest. You don't have to be "in" the contest to make a contact with a station who is.

I am happy to work any station who calls me during a contest. While it is best for you to know what the correct exchange is, if someone is unsure and asks me, I simply tell them what the exchange is and then log the QSO, no problem :-)

by VE7ABC on March 19, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Ed, like a lot of contesters (I'm just little pistol), I got my start on contesting by chasing DX, and I found that contests were a fabulous sourse of countries. Like others have mentioned, if you're not sure on the contest format, listen for a while and see what the exchange format is, and then join in.
I've yet to find a contester that won't work you, because after all your contact results in points for the contesting station, and all contesters are chasing for points/contacts. I've found most contesters will QSL, providing you follow their rules, and sometimes it does take a long time to get the card. Myself personally, I QSL 100%. If I get a card direct (with an SASE), the card goes out the next day direct, and if it comes via the buro, then my card will go out via the buro.
Spend some time listening to the various contests that are on Ed and take the time to learn how contests operate. I know to the untrained ear, a contest sounds confusing and intimidating, but there is a pattern to it, and when you have the basic understanding of how contests work, I'm sure you'll join us, either as a big gun or a little pistol. Fun for all is to be had.
Graham VE7ABC/VA7TT

by W6LOL on March 27, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Hello All - I just wanted to thank all those who replied to my questions, and whom I have not thanked previously. This includes IT9BLB, VK9XD, ALIG, and VE7ABC. Thanks, guys!
73, Ed, W6LOL

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Contest for ME!
Previous Topic:   160 m/Field Day
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.