Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Tips : 160 m/Field Day Forums Help

1-3 of 3 messages

Page 1 of 1  

160 m/Field Day Reply
by WY7W on February 26, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Did anyone have any luck with 160 meters last Field Day, and is it worth the extra work? Also, Does anyone know if there is a website that breaks down the Field Day results to QSO's per band?

Thanks and 73's

RE: 160 m/Field Day Reply
by nn3w on March 1, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Depends on what your goals are. If you're like most contesters and treat FD as a contest and you've got enough stations to make runs slow during the evening, you might consider it.

Remember that in summer, 160 is a very geographically-proximate band. And while it probably makes sense for a 5A or 6A station to have a 160 set-up in Maryland or New York, it probably may not make sense for a 2A station in Utah or Oregon.

RE: 160 m/Field Day Reply
by N8LXR on March 12, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
From what I have read and heard from others, 160 meters is not very active on Field Day but a few contacts are available.

Not surprising, since 160 suffers terribly from summer static and the fact that the antenna needed for it is quite large.

About the only reason I see to try and use 160 on Field Day is that you're really intending to win the class you are in or at least do extremely well, as it will afford you a small number of contacts that you would not have been able to make otherwise - and that is the name of the game here - squeezing the last eligible contact out of the contest and into your log.

Of course, this also means having enough operators to keep every transmitter producing contacts on the air at all times - no down time for any transmitter.

Short of this and I think you are best to concentrate on the bread and butter bands: 80, 40, and 20 meters with 40 and 20 being the biggest producers of the three.

15 meters might open at various times so its good to check it periodically.

This is even more so a good strategy these days because the "15 Minute Rule," i.e., that a TX has to stay on a band for 15 minutes once you have QSYed to it, is no longer in force (I asked ARRL Contest Dept. for a confirmation of this) ....so you can "check" a band all you want and no longer have to stay there if it's dead.

To be honest, I have never seen 10 meters worth a hoot on Field Day in 20 years of doing Field Days...likewise for 6 meters...although again, since there is no longer a 15 minute rule, I say bounce around and check all you want, you never know what might be there.

But 160? For the relatively few contacts you will make there in all likelihood, the size of the antenna, the summer static......hmmmm....only a good idea to put up an antenna on that band if you a competitive operation with 4 or more transmitters.

Of course, a 160 meter dipole DOES make a dandy "Two half waves in phase" on 80 meters!

Tim
N8LXR

Page 1 of 1  

Next Topic:   Working contest stations when not in contest
Previous Topic:   call sign
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Tips:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.