Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Articles : Tribander Single Element Class And CQWW Forums Help

1-10 of 32 messages

Page 1 of 4   Next

Tribander Single Element Class And CQWW Reply
by KG5VK on June 24, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Jari,

while I agree with the spirit of your post
(your heart is in the right place)

I am one that says we do NOT need another category

I own and Operate and fairly less than modest station
and strugle every year for ops young and old

I recruit from the ARRL Field Day

Know someone in the Tri State (The ArkLaTex)
that wants to operate in ARRL Sweep Stakes
Phone contest this coming November
Tell them to email me !

steve
KG5VK

Times are changing Reply
by oe5oho on June 25, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
It�s becoming more and more difficult to errect towers in Europe, at least this is true for some states. Let�s put the money-thing aside (some have it, some don�t). But while it�s in most cases possible to errect a 10m tower with a Tribander on top, and some wire for the lowbands under it, strung from the same tower, it�s definitely impossible to build a big guns dream station in crowded Europe for the "every-day-guy-from-the-next-block". Magazines show only the big guns, while the little pistoles make the score of the big guns. Average age is too high and we need some fresh blood. WWYC shows that there are some young contesters, but it could be more. The tribander single element class fits perfect for the starting contester. SO2R, MS, M2 or MM is possible after years of hamradio live, when you have that 2nd TRX and so on... But to get youngsters started, give them the chance to start with simple equipment. Some - but not many - of the younger contesters might end up as big gun. Maybe that�s what the big guys fear? (joking) Anyway, a great article and we�ll see what�s going to happen. 73 Oliver

RE: Tribander Single Element Class And CQWW Reply
by KB8YJU on June 27, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Tri-bander, Single element is a good way for the beginner/casual contester to jump in and give out contacts, but to be honest, convincing a new contester how much fun it is to sit in front of his rig (by himself) for 36 out of 48 hours is damn near impossible.
As anyone who has done it knows, the REAL fun when we first get started in contesting is sharing the experience with others in a multi-op environment. The problem is, there is no catagory for a beginning/small multi-op operation to compete in.
Take this last 10 meter contest. I operated from my home with just a tri-bander and low power..... did pretty well too. But god forbid my buddy who is starting to catch the contesting bug wants to come see what its all about and do some operating..... there is no way to compete with someone running 1500 (or more) watts and stacked mono-banders with my station.
I'm left with these choices......
1) Let him operate and don't tell anyone. (cheat)
2) Let him watch and listen...... not nearly as much fun as operating.
3) Let him operate and enter as multi-op... forget about being competetive.

How about another option???
Muti-op, low power.
I know of no good reason for lumping every multi-op operation into the same catagory. We don't do it for single-ops, now do we?

Just a thought,
Joe

by OZ8AGB on June 28, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I'm a ham since January this year. Today I finally found this site! I read about contesting in the Danish HAM club magazine and to tell you the truth I'm a bit scared off it. First, I wouldn't know where to begin. I'm having trouble finding some info on the subject for newbees like me. Most info about contests is written to the HAMs that have been here since 1974!
But I think the idea sounds like real fun! But I'd like a "Beginners guide to contesting...".

Vy 73 de
Michael
OZ8AGB

by N2MG on June 28, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Here's some beginner info

http://www.contesting.com/speakout/opinions/58

Mike N2MG

by NT3R on June 28, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I think that all the big major contests should offer a paper certificate for even placing 2nd, and 3rd, be it for region or state, something like Eqsl does for some of their awards.

After the contest results are posted, log-on to their site, and download your certificate, or at least offer some type of paper to hang on the wall for making X number of contacts, and again offer it for download, and printing at home, or make it available for a small fee.

I know I'm never going to place first in any of these contests; only thing I ever placed first in was the ARRL Novice Round-UP in 1985 for my state. I live on a postage size lot in town, I am on-call 24hrs a day, but I do like to throw my hat in the ring, and play the game. The only other truly active ham even close to me, and a good friend is in about the same boat, (most of the other hams in my area think contesting is a dirty word.)

We've even tried the multi-op/single a couple times for fun, but still we both knew we were going to trounced.

But I guess it's supposed to be all in good fun, and enjoyment no matter what, and if people take this so darn seriously, I think they may have forgotten the fun factor.

As a footnote, I just compete against myself to try and do better than I did the year before and against my friend down the road.

by OZ8AGB on June 29, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Mike, thanks a lot! The FAQ is just what I've been looking for!

Vy 73 de
Michael
OZ8AGB

by KA0TWK on June 29, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
IMHO I think there are to many contests nowadays, and it dilutes the enjoyment of them all, and creates a lot of tension with the non-contesting population.

Everybody and anyone who is either an publisher, organization, club, or group or ham related website has a contest now days, thank goodness every state does not have a QSO Party, that would take up 50 out of the 52 weekends a year. I think the NAQP twice a year in it various modes should be good enough for the entire U.S population.

Here's another idea, if you place first in the contest, you can compete the next year, but your log can only be submitted as a check log, not for scoring.

That would put a crimp in the super-stations life style, and give some others a chance once in awhile.

by N8LXR on June 30, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
I have a better idea than just having a "small home station" class.

I think ALL contests should have a mobile and rover class.

That would make being able to meaningfully participate in a contest open to almost anyone with a vehicle.

These mobile and rover class entries could be used to put rare mults on the air and add some flavor.

I fear that will CC and Rs and other antenna restrictions, even the "small" home station is beyond the reach of many younger hams.

Let them take their acts "on the road."

What do you think?

Tim
N8LXR

by oh2pt on June 30, 2004 Mail this to a friend!
Jari, I strongly agree with you!

Page 1 of 4   Next

Next Topic:   2004 CT Section Field Day Listings
Previous Topic:   EU PSK DX Contest 2004
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Articles:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.