Resources
 This Week's Contests
 Classified Ads
 Contest Links
 Product Reviews

Site Information
 About This Site
 Contesting.com Team

Contesting Online Forums : Articles : CW Sprinting - Beginners Guide Forums Help

1-10 of 13 messages

Page 1 of 2   Next

CW Sprinting - Beginners Guide Reply
Anonymous post on August 31, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Bill,

Really, really great write up. My one comment for newcomers would be to run high power if you can. CW Sprint is intimidating enough the first time without being beat out in ever pile-up because you are running low power or QRP.

73, Jim K4MA

by KB8XU on August 31, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Congratulations Bill!

Wonderful source as well as including citations for special article to keep ur work concise. I must admit, I've never worked the whole 4 hours and submitted logs for CW sprint. Always frustrated by rapid fire code at 30 wpm or more---felt as if I was holding up the parade at 16-18 wpm. Well--u showed me how to deal with that as well as other great pointers that should help make the sprint a contest instead of a torture session!

Thanks again, wonderful source of information!

73 de Frank KB8XU

by ke5c on August 31, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Yes, do read and understand the rules. I was so nervous during my first sprint that I forgot 20 meters was one of the bands included. I started on 40 and couldn't understand why more ops weren't on... (not that more ops on would have necessarily helped me that night)

73, John

by N6XI on August 31, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Great article, Bill! Newbies please note: Although you might be able to survive by CQing only,
moving 5 KHz between QSOs, you will often find yourself on someone else's frequency. There
is a rhythm to the band and it becomes almost channelized as people answer a CQ, assume
the frequency and work another station. On the lead band at any time there are very few empty
slots. You will probably make far more contacts by S&Ping and making two Q's per frequency
than searching in vain for clear spots to call CQ. Yes, the high speed CQs can be intimidating,
but once you get the call, a slow response will usually prompt a slow exchange. And if not, a
"QRS" will elicit a slow repeat.

RE: CW Sprinting - Beginners Guide Reply
by W4AN on August 31, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
The heart of the Sprint will be from 025 to 060 on each of the three bands.

I would suggest if you are going to use the CQ only technique because you want to control the pace... then find the edge of the action (where there is nobody CQing or having a QSO) and call CQ there. After you make a QSO, hit VFO-B (which you previously set to the other end of the band) and find a clear spot to call another CQ. Flop back and forth. You will always move 5KC if you use this technique.

I strongly believe that if you are not on top of your CW skills (like copy better than 35 wpm comfortably), then using this method will yield more QSOs than S&Ping the band for guys sending in your comfort zone. Near the end of a band (like when everyone starts to leave), normally people slow down and then it might be useful for you to try S&P. Just depends on your skills.

Bill

by K9AY on August 31, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Let me underscore the need to RELAX! This can be the most frustrating contest you ever operate. I first tried Sprint several years ago, ran high power, did poorly and hated it... REALLY hated it. Later, I tried it again with low power and didn't care about my score. Well, my score ended up a lot higher than those earlier attempts. So relax, go with the flow, take what comes your way and see what happens. Then do it again in six months. See you next Saturday! 73, Gary K9AY

by k6cta on September 1, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Nice write up, Bill. I'll also underscore the need to stay relaxed, and not to get frustrated. One of the
biggest sources of frustration for a new op can be
the exchange. Make sure that you are comfortable with the 2 basic variations; listen to the examples on N6TR's Sprint Survival pages (in fact, listen to them over and over until the exchange format becomes second nature). Also, having software that is designed for the Sprint will make your life much easier, since it will take some of the possible confusion away. Speaking of software, be sure you are comfortable with it. For example, TRlog, which is a wonderful program, has a rather steep learning curve. Take some time BEFORE the contest to learn the functions! I'll never forget my first Sprint, which was also my first run with TRlog...what a disaster! A week spent prior to the contest getting familiar with the program pays big dividends on contest day.

by k6iii on September 3, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Good reading, Bill. Thanks.
I am sometimes in NA Sprint running QRP (Elecraft K2 at 5w). Rather slow going but hang in for a couple of hours, anyway.

I like free software CQPWIN (by AE6Y). Pretty intuitive and all the usual features. Find it at www.cqp.org

RE: CW Sprinting - Beginners Guide Reply
by N2MG on September 5, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Now if I can just figure out what to do when the Deer-in-the-headlights syndrome hits! ;-)

by K0CO on September 5, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
WheeewBOYY!! I took me 14 minutes the first outing to make a single Q....This site got me up to about 40Q/HR as QRP 2nd time out; I can QSO near 35wpm, but this is a very different thing. Thanks for the sample audio strings - they help prevent "SprintShockSyndrome" that hits us new guys....Good luck all
K1xx 999 JACK CO K0CO

Page 1 of 2   Next

Next Topic:   Submitting RTTY contest logs
Previous Topic:   WRTC2002 Press Release #4
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this topic.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Search Articles:

Check our help page for help using Forums, or send questions, comments, or suggestions to the Forums Manager.