[WriteLog] USB failure problem

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB failure problem
From: Alan Maenchen <ad6e@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 11:22:23 -1000
I was having a difficult time with WL running on my laptop. Symptom is CAT
failure that can only be solved by closing and then re-opening WL. The CAT
would fail within a minute or two every time. No problem with my NUC PC.  I
traced this to a 4 port USB expansion dongle that I use with the laptop.
Once that was replaced, I've not had a failure.

Using the latest WL, latest Win10 update. USB hubs configured to NOT allow
going into sleep mode.

Further experimentation shows that ANY USB fault that causes WL to lose CAT
communications cannot be recovered. That does not include things like
switching off the radio for hours, then turning the radio back on. That
always works fine. But if the USB itself is intermittent, there is no
solution other than a restart of WL. That's in spite of Windows 10
recovering the COM port flawlessly (per Device Manager) after a USB
disconnect. WL will not reconnect even if setting PORTS to a different port
(my radio has two).

At this point, this is a minor problem .. now that I know what it is but I
thought others might like to know.

73, Alan  AD6E / KH6TU