Re: [WriteLog] Temporary Rule Waivers Announced for 2020 ARRL Field Day

To: Writelog Forum <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Temporary Rule Waivers Announced for 2020 ARRL Field Day
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 22:23:07 +0000
Recent versions of WriteLog, including the demo version, have a work
around for calculating points for class D to class D QSOs. The work
around is that WriteLog assigns normal point values to QSOs until you
use its Contest/Setup-Parameters menu to tell it you are Field Day class
1D, and then also invoke its Contest/Recalculate menu item. After that,
the points column will be zero for QSOs with other class D stations.
Well, don't do that. Simply stated, the work around is:

To operate class D in ARRL Field Day 2020, do not use
Contest/Setup-Parameters to set your class to 1D. Just don't do it.
WriteLog will calculate points for your QSOs with class D stations.

WriteLog will eventually prompt you for your class designation if/when
you tell it to create a Cabrillo file.  Then you cannot delay any
longer. Set your operating class correctly so that your transmit
exchange appears in your Cabrillo output. What about the points in the
Cabrillo file? Good news. There are no points are in the Cabrillo
specification; the contest sponsor has to calculate them.

This workaround is why the report quoted below behaved differently in
one experiment than the other. Until you do both
Contest/Setup-Parameters and Contest/Recalculate, it calculates points
as if you're anything but class D. (So its not computers you hate, but
the programmer. Sorry about that.)

Wayne