Re: [WriteLog] Popular Logging Programs for CQ WW SSB

To: Ed Muns <ed@w0yk.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Popular Logging Programs for CQ WW SSB
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 15:11:57 -0400
Folks

Interesting discussion. I started with CT for ssb and cw and when I started
rtty it was RTTY by. WF1B (I THINK) but I swore by that software

Every couple years I assess software and hardware and will do upgrades as
needed. For quite some time I resisted moving to windows for logging but
once it became clear that DOS had gone the way of dinasours it was WriteLog
that I went with.

On two different occasions I purchased Wintest but to me at the time it
didn't seem to be a true windows interface as many windows couldn't
benresized so after a while I moved back to WL. I also moved to N1MM but I
always seemed to get configuration problems and moved right back to WL.

I am in the process of moving from Yaesu rigs to Flex 6x00 and it seems
like N1MM is the preferred choice in the Flex community so I will try both
and see which works better for me. But I am biased towards WL while
accepting that N1MM seems to be favoured by the software guru's at Flex
(Not sure I agree with their strategy of favouring or appearing to favour
one software environment over another but I think their major test case is
K9CT and he's an N1MM user)

After about 20 years running WL the.main thing I like is that no matter the
mode things are still familiar. In fact in the last 5 years or so I started
using it as my day to day logger - I think there was a time when the
messages were shared between cw and rtty but when that changed it became my
logger for casual QSOs.

I like the file format and the ease of exporting the cabrillo and adif
formats for contest submission and master loggers/databases.

In more recent.times I have found the duelling cq script/macro very very
useful and use it pretty much as standard.

Many of us will never use the features of any one logger. I certainly
always learn something new by seeing what others are doing with re-mapping
keys or using scripts or macros like W2SC.

I do believe though that the primary attraction of N1MM is it's no-cost. As
a result many casual contesters will use N1MM and then the M/S and M/M may
have.moved to it because that was what the.majority of their ops knew. The
great ops I always argue will still win with whatever software and any
decent rig.

I guess we should keep on having fun  with or without WL.

73's Dean - 8P2K / 8P6SH

Sent from my BLU Vivo XL