Re: [WriteLog] [K3, Writelog] AF Level Reverting to 0 upon Context Switc

To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>, Writelog user group <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [K3, Writelog] AF Level Reverting to 0 upon Context Switch
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:07:39 -0800
Got no responses but learned some more that may be helpful to others:

My SO2V lost audio channel problem appears to be triggered by commands that
Writelog sends to K3 when changing TX focus. It happens ONLY when Writelog
| Radio | Headphones = Normal. By setting Headphones = Split, the unwanted
behavior goes away and both channels remain active through RX selection
changes. I should have realized this from prior experience with SO2R.

The reason this problem came and went during the contest was probably
because I happened to use a Setup menu item that is *totally unrelated to
Headphones*, most likely changing rotor control settings. That daring deed,
and just about any other visit to Setup for dozens of reasons including
"just looking" and not changing anything at all, always resets Headphones
to Normal. (I've debated that obviously incorrect behavior with Writelog
Support without success.)

The behavior that I vaguely remembered from the "naked" K3 (i.e. unassisted
by Writelog) was in K3 Remote when you toggle SUB on or off. This causes
BOTH channels to drop out until you tweak the volume controls. I don't know
if it's related to whatever Writelog is doing when you toggle focus but I
believe this is the problem I heard was "on the list" at Elecraft.

It's a weird, weird world.

/Rick N6XI

--
Rick Tavan N6XI