Re: [WriteLog] RTTY DELAY parameter sought

To: RLodewyck@csustan.edu
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] RTTY DELAY parameter sought
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:24:02 -0500
> Two if MMTTY "transmit UOS" is selected to send a LTRS character with
> every space.

Incorrect ... MMTTY does not transmit "Letters" with every space in
strings of spaces.  "Letters" (or unshift) is transmitted before the
first space in a string.

> Instead, it took three spaces and a CR/LF, or six extra baudot
> characters of eight bits (start, 5 data, 2 stop) for 8/45.45 = 8x22
> ms = 176 ms per character * 6 extra padding characters = 1.06 seconds
> added to every exchange message solely for the purpose of overcoming
> the transmitter/linear transition instability.

Three spaces and CR/LF is six characters because the string is:
"<LTR> <SPACE> <SPACE> <SPACE> <CR> <LF>" - CR and LF are separate
characters in Baudot and MMTTY does not transmit LTR before every
space as can be determined by measuring the time necessary to send a
macro containing 100 space characters *in AFSK*.

> Multiply that by the 2186 QSOs we made and you see that we "wasted"
> over 38 minutes as a result.

The time was wasted because your transmitter was operating improperly.
With a malfunctioning transmitter you would have "wasted" that time
waiting for the transmitter to stabilize whether you used character
padding or just a mark tone.

 > Another problem with simply adding extra spaces at the front of each
 > message is that it does not ensure that the receiving station will
 > synchronize quickly.  If the transmitter chops off a bit or two there
 > will be a contiguous stream of bits from the buffer which, to the
 > receiving station decoding algorithm presents a problem of finding the
 > "true" start bit of the next character.  It typically takes several
 > characters, at least, for the decoding algorithm to figure it out and
 > start decoding correctly.

Again, not true.  The decoding algorithms need a STOP bit followed by
a START BIT - more specifically 165 ms between 1.5 bit length STOP
bits to synchronize.  Absent a leading stop bit (or long mark) an
isolated start (space) bit is indistinguishable for any other space
in the noise.

> By contrast, if Writelog could send a Mark Signal, i.e. assert PTT
> but not send any characters, for the specified RTTY DELAY
> milliseconds, the receiving station will be much more likely to
> detect the first occurence of a Start bit, i.e. decode correctly
> beginning with the very first transmitted character.

It makes absolutely no difference if the padding is a single mark,
diddle (letters) or spaces.  The decoding will behave identically
in the face of what appears to be a *fading* signal.  In practice
there may even be an advantage to letters or space characters as
any automatic threshold correction logic will not be skewed to
"mark only" as it would be by a long mark.

> How long does RTTY DELAY need to be? I don't know, but I would guess
> that no more than two character lengths (2*8/45.45=352 ms) at most
> would be sufficient both for the transmitter and amplifier to
> transition to a stable state and for the receiving station to synch
> up.

Obviously is wasn't for you at PJ2N ... if two characters had been
enough you could have used "<space> CR/LF" which would have actually
been only 300 ms longer than a normal macro with the leading CR/LF.

Again, there is no reason for Writelog, N1MM Logger, Win-Test,
MMTTY, MMVARI, MixW, etc. to add a "data delay" parameter.  If
your transceiver is not working properly add the necessary number
of space characters to the start of your macros (before CR/LF).

> I therefore would like to humbly request that the authors of these
> programs give serious consideration to the addition of a user defined
> RTTY DELAY parameter. In Writelog I would guess that it could
> possibly be as straightforward as extending the CW DELAY parameter to
> also work in the RTTY mode.

Quite simply, such a parameter is not necessary.  It only creates one
more potential problem and solves nothing.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV